deck care

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm a newby to this site and q'ing (real, that is). I've had a couple little electric smokers over the years but they don't smoke, they butcher. I digress.
I got my WSM a month ago. Put it together in 30 mins with a cresent wrench. Did'nt even need the screw driver. Arrived in perfect condition. I could'nt stand it sitting in the living room. Having nothing to prepare, no real info to "cure or not to cure" but an itch to do SOMETHING, I got a bag of Kingsford and fired it up. AAHHHH, I felt much better.
I have a condo with a cement balcony. After my first cook I noticed a 1" diameter spot under the center of the smoker. Not sure why it got there, but it was. I work for a plumbing wholesaler, soooo I got a 20" metal water heater pan to place under the WSM. It is square but fits nicely beneath the cooker. They can be had with or without drains, heavy gauge galvanized steel, last a lifetime.
After 1 smoke I realized I needed something to place the lid on. I chose to use a round plastic water heater pan. 20" again, and used a cutout of the cardboard shipping package to place in the bottom of the pan. Works great! The cardboard soaks up any moisture from the lid and provides insulation from the plastic. When it gets too yucky, throw it out and put a new pc in. Total price? less than $15.00. WAY better than deck maintenance.
If you have a wood deck I would recommend brick or cinder blocks to raise the pan/smoker a couple inches off the deck.

Eat pork and prosper.

Bob, I had the same experience with the first couple of cooks when I got my WSM. The leakage is some grease that travels down the nice new shiny interior. After a couple of cooks when the interior gets "seasoned" you won't have leakage.

Thanks Bruce,
But with the center ring fitting inside the bottom portion, how could this happen? I did a 4 pound pork roast on the bottom grate and can't imagine enough moisture bubbling over the ring in the bottom section.
I must admit it has not happened since.

Eat pork and be happy.

How about from the lower vent holes?

I've noticed a greasy ring around the edge of the charcoal grate after I do butts.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Travis H:
[qb] How about from the lower vent holes?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bingo. Depending on your luck, the leakage hits one of the bottom vents, runs down the outside of the charcoal bowl, and drips off the bottom onto your patio.

As Bruce said, this is usually a temporary situation, but a drip pan of some sort is good insurance. My favorite is the undercar oil drip pan.

Regards,
Chris

That's exactly where it is coming from. Bob, go to any major auto parts store and get the drip pan, it will not only protect your deck it gives you a place to set the lid.

Maybe this is really bad, but I let my WSM sit outside most of the time. How do you keep the drip pan from filling up with water every time is rains?

Tony,

Since the Weber cover isn't 100% waterproof, you could cover the whole thing with a large plastic trash bag.

....Sorry. I should have read more carefully. I thought you were talking about the WSM collecting water.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb] Maybe this is really bad, but I let my WSM sit outside most of the time. How do you keep the drip pan from filling up with water every time is rains? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You could drill some drain holes out near the edges of the pan. I doubt what little happens to drip from the WSM will ever be enough to make it that far.

Did'nt know the topic would be this popular. The beauty of the water heater pan is that you can get it with a bottom or side drain (or no drain). The side drain is pvc garden hose thread and located low on the pan. If you get water accumulation, simply attach your hose to the fitting and drain the pan to the location of choice.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Weisse:
[qb]How do you keep the drip pan from filling up with water every time is rains? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Move the cooker off the pan after the cook and store the pan on edge.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back