Dead Weber

Chris Mills

TVWBB Fan
So I'm over my folks last night and my dad is grilling up a bunch of burgers and stuff on his trusty old kettle when he calls me over to look at something.

weber.JPG

There is a big hole rusted through the side of the bowl.

weber1.jpg

What the hell? Looks like the one of the grate brackets weld seam rusted clean through and fell into the bowl, leaving the big hole. Upon closer inspection I found this in the hot coals.

weber2.jpg

Alas this old kettle has apparently been worked to death and I guess we'll be doing some shopping for a new one. I'm not quite sure how old this one is, but it's been used year round for probably close to 20 years, no matter how much snow was on the ground. Up here in Maine we grill no matter what the weather is like. :D

Last edited:
I'm not quite sure how old this one is

It's not ~that~ old as it has the wide tab on the lid vent. Speaking of lid vent, look under the Pat Number for the letter code and that'll tell you the year it was produced.

A: 1979
B: 1980
C: 1981
D: 1982
E: 1983
F: 1984
G: 1985
H: 1986
J: 1987
K: 1988
L: 1989
M: 1990
N: 1991
O: 1992
P: 1993
EH: 1994
EO: 1995
ER: 1996
EI: 1997
EZ: 1998
EE: 1999
DD: 2000
DA: 2001
DU: 2002
DT: 2003
DH: 2004
DO: 2005
DR: 2006
DI: 2007
DZ: 2008
DE: 2009
AD: 2010
AA: 2011
AU: 2012

PS - that grill is a One Touch Plus model as it has the lid bale & (had) thermometer in the handle.

Last edited:
That kettle in not dead, its just wounded. Talk to your local independent welder. Offer to grill him a couple of good steaks. Problem solved!

yeah, it aint too old like Chad points out...
I'd s-can the old man and pick-up a new critter...

Interesting. My oldest weber has DD on the lid vent (2000). The only problem I've had is the lid handle rusted off and I had to attach it with a pop rivet. It's a little loose but it works fine.

I agree with Jim. This time of year Target is putting all the grilling stuff on clearance. I got my OTS that way for $65.

I like the little nook your dad has in his deck with the two side tables. Great idea.i think you should buy dear old dad a nice new kettle!

It's not ~that~ old as it has the wide tab on the lid vent. Speaking of lid vent, look under the Pat Number for the letter code and that'll tell you the year it was produced.

A: 1979
B: 1980
C: 1981
D: 1982
E: 1983
F: 1984
G: 1985
H: 1986
J: 1987
K: 1988
L: 1989
M: 1990
N: 1991
O: 1992
P: 1993
EH: 1994
EO: 1995
ER: 1996
EI: 1997
EZ: 1998
EE: 1999
DD: 2000
DA: 2001
DU: 2002
DT: 2003
DH: 2004
DO: 2005
DR: 2006
DI: 2007
DZ: 2008
DE: 2009
AD: 2010
AA: 2011
AU: 2012

PS - that grill is a One Touch Plus model as it has the lid bale & (had) thermometer in the handle.

Well, it's actually older than I thought. Over here tonight for more cooking (lots of family company up for the weekend) so I checked and the letter code is M which puts this particular kettle at 23 years old. The old girl has held up pretty well considering. As for repairing my ever practicle father has temporarily patched with a piece of thin sheet metal and some self tapping screws.

My parents are now having the traditional discussion. Mom thinks they should get a new one, dad not so sure. I'm thinking Mom will win this battle so I'll keep my eye out for a new OTG for them, especially with the end of summer sales starting to kick off.

As for the "grill station"...my dad and I built that specifically for the kettle about 20 years ago. Needs to be scraped and given a new coat of deck stain but that was one of the best ideas my dad ever had given how much use the kettle gets.

I do know that I'll be keeping the lid, legs, handles, etc. as parts for my own kettles at home. My own OTG lid has a huge dent in it from getting whacked with a 5th wheel hitch in the bed of my truck. This old lid will be a great replacement.

Last edited:
Seriously - check Craigslist for Weber & Webber. Pick up a dirty one and they clean up extremely well. Get the Gold model and pops will be in heaven.

Glad to hear you'll keep the lid and keep the memories alive. Take some 0000 steel wool to the lid, vent, & thermometer housing and they'll shine like brand new. You'll be amazed how well the porcelain cleans up with steel wool. And if you want to kick it up a notch - get a replacement thermometer from Weber.
http://store.weber.com/accessories/category/cook/tools/1106

309815_194x144.jpg

Well, talking with dad and he is now thinking about replacing with a 26" OTG. Since I do as much cooking at their place as I do at mine I'm in agreement. My folks 47th anniversary is in September and my mom has said the new bigger kettle will be the anniversary present to each other.

Well, talking with dad and he is now thinking about replacing with a 26" OTG. Since I do as much cooking at their place as I do at mine I'm in agreement. My folks 47th anniversary is in September and my mom has said the new bigger kettle will be the anniversary present to each other.
I got the 26.75 OTG first and then a 22.5 OTG and I alway use the 26.75. I mean you can't have too much room when grilling or bbqing.

you know what...? Chad's got it right.
There are soo many decent Weber kettles on craigslist that'll work with a little SW and elbow grease...
seen a NICE blue OTG with a dent/broken porcelain cover and the seller was asking only 25 bucks for it... before I could INQUIRE about it, someone snatched it up...

for some odd reasoning, folks unload them... their loss, our gain!

EDIT:
Chris, The 26" OTG IS awesome!
He'll LOVE it!!

Last edited:

Back