De-Enhancing BB's

Jason M. Park

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy all, sorry I have been absent as of late. I got so much great advise as a beginner, I haven't been round these parts for a while.

Anyway, I just bought some enhanced ribs on accident. My normal place where I buy was out and I forgot to look. I have 2 racks of normal and 2 racks of enhanced. I already have my rub made up and I'm not at home. (I'm at mom's place getting ready to do a picnic roast overnight)

So... Is there a way to somehow get the "enhanced-ness" out of the ribs?

I plan on rubbing them up in the morning about 9:00 am, so if there are any night owls out there doing overnights (and I KNOW there are plenty of you tonight) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

No? Oh well, I'm trying soaking and changing the water every 15 minutes or so. I have a feeling they will still turn out "ok" but not as good as usual.

Sorry, Jason, just getting around to reading the posts this morning.

I think soaking might help a bit. The general concensus seems to be to cut back on salt in the rub, given that there is already salt in the enhanced pork.

Good luck,
Chris

I did not know there was salt in the enhanced pork. This explains the ribs we had yesterday. I bought the enhanced by mistake and they were salty. I could not understand this as I had used the rub before.

Thanks Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom O:
I did not know there was salt in the enhanced pork. This explains the ribs we had yesterday. I bought the enhanced by mistake and they were salty. I could not understand this as I had used the rub before.

Thanks Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes and since they sit in that 10-12% salt solution for so long it starts to cure them somewhat. That's why many, myself included complain of the hammy taste you get most of the time from enhanced meat.
icon_mad.gif

Going to bring my reading glasses when I shop. The ribs did not taste right. Never again,,,tom

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom O:
Going to bring my reading glasses when I shop. The ribs did not taste right. Never again,,,tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Good idea Tom. They put it in such small type and it's very well placed so it's out of site by the unsupecting shopper.
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Good idea Tom. They put it in such small type and it's very well placed so it's out of site by the unsupecting shopper.
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Bryan, doesn't that just trip your trigger?? I think the best bet is to buy from meat markets. I dunno, I have never been to a Sam's yet since I have done Q, but people rave about them so.....yes people look carefully before ya buy.

Big Al

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Anyway, I just bought some enhanced ribs on accident. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jason,
I don't know where you are in Socal, but if you have a Stater Bros. market anywhere near you, they carry spares and BB's loose in the meat case, and usually Farmer John's California Natural spares and BB's in cryovac- all unenhanced. They had spares for .99 a pound this past weekend, and BB's for 3.99 a pound. ( I'll stick with spares, I think
icon_wink.gif
)

Jim

James N, I normally get my BB's from Smart & Final. They usually have the best deal on the Farmer John ribs, sadly they were out when I went shopping. I saw some "fresh" BB's at my nearby Stater's, but they were rather undersized and quite obviously previously frozen. I would have done the spares, but most of the peeps I cook for prefer the BB's (so do I, actually)

All in all, they turned out OK. after soaking, I used about half the rub I normally would, and used more sauce on the enhabced ones to finish. It was a passable cover-up, but I'll have to be more careful at the market next time.

Back