Day two - Smoked beef plank short ribs

Jerry We

TVWBB Fan
Yesterday we ate the first rack of beef ribs straight off the grill. Today I kicked it up a notch and braised the second rack to fork tenderness.

Started by carmelizing an onion in olive oil then added carrots and celery and tomato paste.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 1.jpg

Added a bit of Jack Daniels, red wine, beef stock and a few herbs and spices. Heated it for a while then added the ribs.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 2.jpg

Put it on the Kettle at about 300 degrees with a few chunks of cherry wood. The ribs had plenty of flavor but wanted to see if I could add any smoke to the stock for gravy.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 3.jpg

Covered the grill and let them simmer for about an hour then brought them into the house, drained the stock and prepared the gravy.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 5.jpg

Now it was time to eat and it was crazy good. Only thing we needed a knife for was to cut and butter the bread.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 6.jpg

We set aside a few bites for the BBQ dogs and there was a half slice of bread and a little bit of meat left so couldn't let that go to waste. Yep it's an open-faced hot rib sandwhich.

day two beef plate short ribs 12-7-20 7.jpg

Gonna be nothing but rabbit food for us the rest of the week.

That's seriously legit, Jerry!! Love the double cook, the gravy looks so silky and deeply colored! Yum!

R

That's seriously legit, Jerry!! Love the double cook, the gravy looks so silky and deeply colored! Yum!

R
Thanks Rich. The idea comes from a Trendkill youtube video but he carries it to much bigger extremes. I used this on leftover brisket and it was just as good if you like the texture. Kind of like roast beef but with much better flavor.

That is next level right there. I love that you took an amazing bbq cook in its own right (beef ribs), and then have the for site and the ability to execute an amazing second night meal. And the ability to not eat them all. The process and final product of that gravy is legit! I don't think you can get a better "roast beef" dinner or "hot roast beef" open face sandwich anywhere!

Back