Dave's Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WIFI Experiences

Thanks for all the info posted about this and the Smokefire. So how do the new 1-10 smoke settings on the woodwind compare to the old low and high smoke settings? Does it smoke constantly or intermittent?

Thanks for all the info posted about this and the Smokefire. So how do the new 1-10 smoke settings on the woodwind compare to the old low and high smoke settings? Does it smoke constantly or intermittent?

You're welcome. I can't offer up what it used to be like, but at lower temps it does seem to put out some smoke but it is more of a cyclic type smoke (light then heavier then light then heavier). It definitely puts out more smoke than my Timberline 1300.

So you remember that bacon I smoked a couple of days ago? Last night it was burger time but to be honest, I was smoked out. I think I've ran a pellet smoker every day since I got my Smokefire. I needed something different, and I thought I'd share. If you guys don't have a griddle, you're missing out. Now it was crazy windy last night so I ran the heat lower than I normally would so I wasn't having grease and stuff flying everywhere. However, this Cuisinart 360 XL griddle I picked up in early January while I was bored waiting for the Smokefire does the trick. It's so fun to cook on and I like it better than the more conventional rectangular griddles. If you've ever watched Sam the Cooking Guy on Youtube, he was my inspiration for buying a round griddle.

20200303171938-bbe1fbfd-me.jpg

Awe. Look at that little Smokefire in the background. Getting it heated up.

20200303171946-efa2bc2f-me.jpg

I put salt, pepper, chili powder, a dash of garlic powder, Worster sauce and some finely chopped green onion. I don't know what I was doing - I just wanted something a little different. It was the right call!

20200303171950-1f52787c-me.jpg

Remember that smoked bacon from the head to head over the weekend? I used what was left:
20200303171954-a2a08018-me.jpg

Some avocado oil and onto the griddle they go to be smashed:
20200303171958-484805f6-me.jpg

20200303172005-6625fc07-me.jpg

20200303172009-a676acf4-me.jpg

20200303172022-d03b5931-me.jpg

20200303172017-8440d8bc-me.jpg

20200303172025-7ba1b6b9-me.jpg

I toasted some brioche buns with avocado oil and made some chipotle mayo sauce to top them. Lastly I added some butter chip pickles. Good? Yes my friends, they were awesome. Anyhow, I figured I'd put this into the Woodwind thread since it was kind off the Weber topic anyhow. Sorry for the off topic post, but I figured there was a little Smokefire and a little Woodwind in this cook.

Last edited:
Would you call the camp chef a keeper? My smokefire even after auger replacement struggles past 500 and weighing a replacement now. Thanks.

Would you call the camp chef a keeper? My smokefire even after auger replacement struggles past 500 and weighing a replacement now. Thanks.

Just so you know, the Woodwind tops out at 500 degrees. If you look back at my Tri-Tip post, you can see that it can really sear. What I did not like was the stock grates and finding suitable replacements would be recommended. I don't like coated anything. The crappy fitting door was also something I didn't care for, nor the choked off smoke stack. I fixed all that and it runs like a dream. It has not had one issue since I put it together. It's going to join my fleet on the patio as I'm sending some other smokers off to pasture or as I call it, making a buck or two on CL. By the end of this weekend, my Cookshack PG1000 and Timberline 1300 should be down the road. It also runs pretty efficiently in terms of pellet consumption.

Anyone looking for a Camp Chef FTG600 griddle with a stainless griddle cover and a weather resistant cover in nearly new condition? $270 and you pick up. :)

Smash burgers are awesome but you've taken them up a few notches. Nicely done!

Thanks. I liked the flavor the green onion added when cooked, so I think I'll keep doing that. Normally I just loosely ball 80/20 and season with either salt and pepper or McCormicks steak seasoning (not Montreal steak).

If you've followed this thread from the beginning, you read that the lid fit poorly, the handle wasn't right and that I had some shipping damage.

Camp Chef has indicated the lid is made that way be design to leak like crazy. They said it creates the perfect cooking environment, so I'll chock that up as acceptable. They have offered me a $200 credit for the damage which I feel is more than generous, so I'm going to accept that. Lastly, the handle issue they didn't seem to respond to, but I'm sure they'll replace it. Overall, good support.

Well, here's something odd. I had emailed Camp Chef saying the credit was cool and that I'd like the handle. They responded back that they credited me $200, and are sending me a replacement door assembly and a handle, along with the handle trim. I don't know what changed since I didn't ask for the lid after their last reply, but they're sending me one. Kudos to their support.

Leaking by design??? Oooookay...
Personally, I subscribe to the notion of "leaks". Sure, it could be an excuse by Weber and others because, let's face it, it can be challenging to manufacture a product where every piece fits perfectly given stack-up tolerances, but with respect to items such as forced-air pellet smokers and other grills or smokers that rely on intake and exhaust, I choose to believe they are not designed to be airtight.

I can’t remember where to give links, but I’ve read a couple different places of people putting gaskets on their Camp Chef lids and having issues and then removing the gaskets and being happy again. They definitely haven’t designed theirs not to leak.

I actually believe them based upon how choked off the smoke stack was. I bet they did it for more even temperatures. However, I'll go with less leakage and some variation in temps.
That would be my preference as well. Of course, I have no experience with pellet grills so maybe this is a design strategy?

I can’t remember where to give links, but I’ve read a couple different places of people putting gaskets on their Camp Chef lids and having issues and then removing the gaskets and being happy again. They definitely haven’t designed theirs not to leak.
I saw one person that put weather stripping around the lid. Not like fire resistant nomex, actual weather stripping...

I’ve read through the thread, and I’m looking for advice on a pellet smoker from Dave or others that have used the Weber and/or Camp Chef Woodwind. I want to purchase a pellet smoker and I’m torn between the Weber and Camp Chef. Should I go ahead purchase the Camp Chef or wait to see if Weber can resolve the issues with their smoker? Any advice would be appreciate.

I’ve read through the thread, and I’m looking for advice on a pellet smoker from Dave or others that have used the Weber and/or Camp Chef Woodwind. I want to purchase a pellet smoker and I’m torn between the Weber and Camp Chef. Should I go ahead purchase the Camp Chef or wait to see if Weber can resolve the issues with their smoker? Any advice would be appreciate.

The Smokefire is still going to have some teething issues. Weber appears to be actively trying to sort things out. If you want a more mature cooker, I think the Woodwind is a good choice. If you want some of the best results you can achieve from a pellet smoker then the Smokefire deserves strong consideration.

Back