Dave's Camp Chef Woodwind 36 WIFI Experiences

If we were to go by what we've seen you do with the Smoke Fire, you'll have this assembled by the afternoon, a test meal done by this evening, and at least 2 mods in the mail by tomorrow. :p

It's been a long week at work already and I'm real thirsty. 🍺🍺🥃🍺

However, a funny trait about me is that after a couple of cocktails, I'm even more productive. So you're possibly right. I'm going to go socialize a bit after work to blow off some steam and then I'll head home. When I get home, I can't get my car in the garage because the Woodwind is in the way, so it will likely result in me ripping the boxes open and getting it built in the garage so I can get it out of the way. We'll see though, we'll see.

🕺

I updated an earlier post with assembly pictures and my initial thoughts. Time to cook. I'm tired!!!

Assembly Post
Haha, Jason nailed it!
Thanks Dave for all the info you provide.
You are definitely a welcome addition to the forum.
I mean cocktails, cool @@@@ everywhere.
My neighbors selling his house, just saying if you want to come up to the bay.

Haha, Jason nailed it!
I mean cocktails, cool @@@@ everywhere.
My neighbors selling his house, just saying if you want to come up to the bay.

Thanks. My garage is a disaster and I'm not cleaning it up, so there's that. My patio is a disaster because of my Smokefire projects, along with trying to sell some stuff. My kitchen is a disaster because I've been using it as a makeshift workshop. This weekend is going to be a long one of getting things organized and back in order.

Email sent to Camp Chef support, so we'll see how that goes. I bumped the cooking temp up to 275 because I want to eat sooner than later. It does seem to hold temps pretty well and put out a reasonable amount of cyclic smoke when at 250. It's nothing like the Smokefire in terms of smoke output, but I expected that. However, it does seem to be much better than my Timberline 1300. The proof is in the pudding, or in this case, late night pork loin.

I'll pass on the bay area because I have too much stuff to come crashing down during an earthquake. LOL.

First cook is behind me. Started at 250 and finished at 375. Cooked to about 145ish. Once it hit 125, I opened the heat diffuser to finish it off quickly. Didn't sear a whole lot but it did get some char.

20200226220248-6747fb1a-me.jpg

20200226220252-a888b06e-me.jpg

20200226220255-9fe52b6b-me.jpg

20200226220310-85e853c0-me.jpg

20200226220329-aaa8e9b3-me.jpg

20200226220333-dce5b26a-me.jpg

20200226220338-47807696-me.jpg

Flavor was good, hint of smoke. No issues to report with the Woodwind 36. It fired right up, comes up to temp quickly and seems to run well. I'll dive a bit deeper over the next several days as I balance time between my various projects.

Haha, Jason nailed it!
I had a feeling when I finally got home from work I would see something done with the Camp Chef. It's hard to have a new toy sitting in a box. The pork looks like it came out good.
:coolkettle:

Oh I have had it for awhile just watching here to see what develops. Though I have to say, my 2 gassers really hold temps I want extremely well. So well in fact I have no qualms about leaving the house at times when I am doing a low/slow on something. With my good old foil packets filled with generous amounts of wood chips of whatever flavor I like give me great results, good flavor/smoke ring etc. So while I am watching this stuff with great interest I am wondering if it's really going to give me something I cannot do with great results right now. No worries of embers falling and burning my deck/house down, no bags of fuel, etc. Though I might just gamble on something like this https://www.menards.com/main/outdoo...l/71820fb/p-1444428674198-c-1537207499597.htm

Larry, if your going to gamble on cheap, pick up an new old stock Camp Chef on eBay. I think they are better quality than Pit Boss. I had a SmokePro STX I found for less than $300, but promised it to a friend when I got the SmokeFire.

Larry, if your going to gamble on cheap, pick up an new old stock Camp Chef on eBay. I think they are better quality than Pit Boss. I had a SmokePro STX I found for less than $300, but promised it to a friend when I got the SmokeFire.
I may look into that as well. Nice thing is for me is that I can literally go a mile and half from my house and bring one home easily enough

Lack of smoke in general. Some sooting issues. Build quality is very nice across the board. Nice heft to it. However, the Smokefire puts it to utter shame in terms of smoke output and flavor. No comparison. I'm worried the Woodwind will be similar, but fingers crossed it's better than the Timberline in that regard.

Maintenance of the Smokefire would be a bit more IMO, though you don't need to vacuum the Smokefire to clean it. You can brush the ash into the grease drain holes and then dump the grease pan. On the Timberline, you'd have to vacuum it out. It's easier to get inside of the cooking chamber with the Smokefire due to the parts being smaller and easier to handle, versus the large drip pan in the Timberline. The Timberline grates are also heavy stainless (very nice grates), but still a bit awkward to handle. The grease/ash mix in the Smokefire would make for a dirtier cleaning experience though, unless you always run drip pans. Much less ash circulating about in the Timberline.

Thanks for the information.

Dan, when I assembled my Camp Chef I stuffed a towel in the pellet hopper in case I drooped a lid screw Which I did and that towel prevented it from falling into the auger, which would have been ugly, requiring a lot of disassembly to get it out.

Rich:
Wish I had thought of that at the time. I guess I was fortunate with the bounces of the screws. I still had to use my retrieval grabber tool to get them back up through he hopper grate. That tool was probably the best investment I ever bought at NAPA about 40 years ago. I bought another last year for a project my son was doing and it has been handy for him too.

Dan, when I assembled my Camp Chef I stuffed a towel in the pellet hopper in case I drooped a lid screw Which I did and that towel prevented it from falling into the auger, which would have been ugly, requiring a lot of disassembly to get it out.
Old trick us old mechanics use when we're working around an open intake manifold. Otherwise there would be the heartbreak of the nut or screw dropped into an open intake, forgotten about, engine restarted after the work and, well...................................I think you might be able to imagine the rest

Back