Cutting ribs in half

BradyB

TVWBB Member
I usually do my baby back ribs as a full rack. If I cut the rack in half to better fit them in my smoker does that make them cook any quicker, or should it be about the same amount of time they normally take?

Thanks

Based on my experience cooking spares, cutting them in half won't affect the cooking time. Unless, of course, you figure a way to cut them so they're only half as thick.
icon_smile.gif

Ha ha yeah, that would be interesting. Thanks Larry. I will give it shot this weekend and see how it goes.

Nice thing about cutting racks in half is that the edges dont get burn't by being too close to the outside

Cutting them down doesn't hurt at all. Never went beyond quarters, spare or BB's. Done is done.

Cook time won't make that much difference with ribs. With butts - might be a different story. So much more mass/thickness.

But still check for done - NOT TIME!!

I have been cutting my BBs in half and putting the thicker half on about 45 minutes earlier than the thinner half. Seems to help the timing so that I get both sections done. I used to get the thicker half under cooked when the thinner end was always done just right.

I think depending on your cooker, cutting them in half can make them cook more evenly but still when you foil them they most likely will "steam" evenly anyway. It's all in what you can get to fit where. When I do ribs on my mini smoker, it will only fit about 10-11 bones worth of babybacks in it.

Back