Cutco Knives... Worth it??

Thanks guys. I believe I have my answer.

Konrad, I'm with you on this one. A lot of the money spent on Cutco goes to their sales people. I guess it's like Amway or Avon. The salesperson who called me after I ordered a catalog was willing to take a bunch off the price, but in the end I was getting 3 knives for around $250.

Well, when I woke up from that foolishness, and saw all the recommendations for the Forschner, I ended up spending about 1/2 that and got 5 good knives, including a nice 14" Granton edge slicer.

I still want a Global Santoku, but not until I'm willing to spend the time to learn how to sharpen it correctly.

Tom-

I think you'll be pleased with them. I had a couple in my pre-Japanese blade days that I liked very much. One I have no idea what happened to, the other I gave to my sous chef when he went back to Canada because he liked it so much. Which reminds me--

Vernon--

When I started in my first professional gig I saved a little money out of each check to buy my first 'professional' knife. It was a Sabatier chef's. I still have it and it's still a great knife--thirty years later.

Forschner are great knives at any price, the fact that they are probably the best value in kitchen knives makes them all that much better. Good choice
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I ended up spending about 1/2 that and got 5 good knives, including a nice 14" Granton edge slicer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom

I would be interested in knowing which 5 knives you selected.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul,

I actually ended up ordering 6 in total:

6" Flexible boning knife
10" Chef's knife
10" Breaking knife
10" Bread knife
14" Granton Slicer
3.25" Paring knife

Came to $146 & they threw in a free Swiss Army knife and free shipping.

www.cutleryandmore.com

I requested a MAC Santoku granton for Christmas last year and was not disappointed. I'm pretty sure than Jim Minion recommended it.

I don't mind using a 6.5 inch blade and after using it for nearly six months, it is my favorite. MAC also makes a ceramic sharpening steel, for about $20. Sweet combo

Glenn

Tom,

I believe you've gotten some excellent knives! Just FYI, some well known chefs who have lauded their own Forschner knives are Alton Brown, who claims he's had his for years, and Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger (Two Hot Tamales) who say that they use Forschner when cooking at home.

Lucky you when you got a freebie with you ordered from cutleryandmore. I spent about the same when ordering my Globals, but I didn't get any freebies at the time. Congratulations!

Disclaimer: I'm not really qualified to comment on Cutco knives. But I'm going to, anyway.
icon_razz.gif

My sister brought a set over once at Thanksgiving when I was carving the turkey. She said they were Cutco. I picked up the slicer, held it for a minute, and put it down and got a Chicago Cutlery knife instead.

I did not use the Cutco knife. It felt cheap. It seemed cheesey. The handle felt like hollow plastic. Maybe that knife would have been the best-slicing knife in the world and I didn't know it, but I put that knife down untried and got a different one instead, I disliked it that much.

But I do think, if you want a good set of knives for a reasonable price, it's hard to beat Forschner. My favorite knife is made by them. I like it better than my Wusthoffs.

They may not be the best knives but I would say they are better than Chicago Cutlery.

That said my cutco knives are about to be replaced with some forschners. and I am pretty certain no slimey sales tactics will be involved.

They may be better, but they looked and felt like junk to me. But, as I said, I didn't give them a fair shake.

Forschner has the general reputation of being just about as good as the better forged knives, even though they are stamped.

And you're right about the sales tactics used by the Cutco Cutthoats.
icon_biggrin.gif

Forschner's are very good knives, but you'll have to learn to sharpen them because they don't hold an edge as well as knives made of harder steel.

If you want a pretty good Japanese knife that's not real expensive, try one of these Tojiro knives. I have the santuko, and it's a nice little knife. I also have a a 240 mm gyutou (like a chef's knife) from their Powdered High Speed Tool Steel Series line. They're not good for cutting up chickens because the edges are thinner than German knives, but they cut veggies, boneless meat, etc. like buttah.

What do people mean by "non-bevelled edge"? Would that be a blade that tapers all the way from the spine to the edge in a smooth V shape? Because these knives are not like that - they have bevels on the edges.

Chris K.,
I just brought home the Sam's Club knives you mentioned. Seems like a pretty nice set especially for $100. Thanks for the recommendation. I was about to pay $200 for just a couple of knives (henkles).

Back