Cure time for wood?

Travis Smith

A few months ago I had to have a rather large limb trimmed out of red oak in my yard. Rather than let it all go to waste, I had the tree service cut one of the limbs into pieces about 3-4 inches thick. I've got probably 8-10 of these 3" x 12" diameter oak pieces now.

They've been sitting back on my patio, exposed to the elements (that was dumb, I know), but now I'm wondering if they can still be used as wood for my smoker? If so, how much longer should I let the wood dry out before I try to use it?

Sounds like it might be time to cut them up into the little pieces (if you're using a WSM) put them in a burlap bag and store them in doors. You don't want any sap in the wood.

nothing wrong with them outside exposed... they'll season faster that way.
I'd say you can start using that red oakwood (cut into that size, 3x12) after 8 months from cutting.

I'd "chunk" them into usable pieces and...well, use them. I wouldn't fret too much about them being "perfect". I don't, but many people soak their chunks all the time before using them without adverse affects. I think you're good to go, even if they're "wetter" than what you'd buy.

Chunk them all and store what you don't use right away in a garage/shed/basement/etc. for later use.

You're fine.

I have never worried about storing my wood outside. As a matter of fact I have several large pieces of un split Michigan Cherry from a buddies tree that came down sitting behind my garage now. Since I'm out of Cherry I will split it, chunk it in fist size pieces and keep it in the garage soon.

Seasoning the wood outside is no problem as long as you have airflow around it. I usually wait 6 months before I use it.

In fact, the best way to season wood is outside. I use about 10 m3 every winter, and it is stored outside, with metal sheet roof plates placed on top.

Back