Cue'ing my first Pork shoulder tomorrow--using Chris Lilly's Shoulder/injection recip

Andrew Luis

TVWBB Fan
Hey guys,

Pictures to come later tonight. I have 2 costco 7ish lbs bonless pork butts. I will be hitting the store soon for butcher twine and apple juice.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?259...ionship-Pork-Shoulder-injection-and-rub/page9

I plan to put on the rub, but will trim all off a good amount of fat opposite fat cap side. I am going to keep it on per Harry Soo's thinking.

I have a couple of questions especially during the 'wall' folks hit around the 150-160F mark. The recipe I linked above doesn't go into foiling....but I am thinking of doing it to combine Master Soo's techniques with the recipe.

He tends to reccomend foiling and and this mixture:

8x2h.jpg

Will this combine well with this recipe? Or am I better off just ignoring the wrapping part and keeping it simple, stupid?

I am newb....but have to get this right! It's for the Super Bowl for goodness sakes! :p

PS a good amount of pictures to come :)

I don't believe youll go wrong foiling with that mixture. sounds like good flavors.foiling when the meat hits 170 or so ?
are you putting the butt in a foil pan on the smoker? I always do/ saves all that nice juice. you can skim the fat at the end and mix it in with the shredded pork.

Hi Andrew,

Good luck on your Super Bowl smoke! Here's what I do, and I get many compliments on my pulled pork.

Chris lily rub and injection.

I foil once I get a good bark, then I drizzle the following mixture over the shoulder, and then mix it in with the meat when I pull it at 198 or so:

1 cup fav bbq sauce
1 cup white vinegar
4 TB hot sauce
2 TB Chris lily rub

OK Guys, here's some pics.

Wish I had some when it had the dry rub all over it...but the GF was in a bad mood and wanted to go to bed. No pics because I had to get it done before I got screwed doing all of that by myself lol.

Here's an 'after' pic after injecting it after putting the rub all over it.

vxx3.jpg

zdif.jpg

Here's my injector. How should I clean this guy? Since it was just apple juice and spices I washed it out with hot water--sucked hot water and squirted it out a couple of times.

jkdj.jpg

Here's my new toy. I bought 2 pork butts from Costco--so I had to seal up the other one. Still learning how to use it. Don't like how they ask you to have a 4 inch gap between food and the seal...but I am seeing if there's a way I can cut that down.

abdq.jpg

ax2o.jpg

I'm going to put some more rub (in the little pyrex canister) before I put it on the smoker. Don't think I injected it all that well...but have high hopes! :)

I may try your suggestion Tim. I just want to keep the pork kind of 'pure' because I also concoted some North Carolina vinegar sauces I want to try with just pork with rub.

Thoughts guys? I want this to be amazing to impress my friends on Sunday. :p

Looks like you got everything under control.

I clean my injector with hot water and a tbs of bleach In a cup. Use it all up and it should be clean then do a water only run.

I've got that same injector. I take it apart and put it in the utensils tray of the dishwasher every time I use it. Peace of mind for me-good hearty wash in the dishwasher. I imagine Tonys bleach idea would work well too.

Just got 4 butts prepped myself to go on the smoker at about midnight tonight. Good luck you Andrew, don't sweat the results, pork butts are very forgiving, sounds like you've got a good flavor profile in mind.

Have fun watching the game tomorrow everyone!!

I think the 4" gap is so you don't suck any juice into the sealing mechanism and interfere with a proper seal. I'm not sure, but that would be my best guess.

Thanks for the kind words, guys! How long should my 7ish lbs pound pork butt take to cook up?

What time should I put her on the smoker?

And on the 4inches, I think I've figured it out to where I cacn get it to seal without all that slack. :)

Will try the bleach thing too...just to be safe

Last edited:
Thanks man!

So how long will this take me?

The rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per lb. It's about 7ish lbs...so about 11hours?

Does that sound right?

Sounds right to me. Just remember, 2 things will help if you if you find you're running out of time. Foil, and crank up the smoker (or oven if you finish foiling in then oven) temp.

Sounds good! I will be putting the 'butt on the smoker at 4AM, hopefully have it done by 4PM.

Here's a pic of it after I finished putting on a bit more of rub on her about an hour ago:

xts0.jpg

I just did the Chris Lilly recipe for the first time last weekend. You're going to love that pork! Looks good. Waiting for the finale...

Thanks for the kind words, guys! How long should my 7ish lbs pound pork butt take to cook up?

What time should I put her on the smoker?

And on the 4inches, I think I've figured it out to where I cacn get it to seal without all that slack. :)

Will try the bleach thing too...just to be safe

I put 18 lbs of butts on just before 7am, and should have them ready by 4. I just run the smoker wide open without water and the wsm will run around 275, and maybe higher if the sun ever comes out again.

If I need to speed things up, then I'll either play with the smoker to get it to 325, or just foil the butts.

You will do good Andrew!

Thanks, Tony!! Having fun so far...

It's bark is starting to set. It's been on the smoker for about 7ish hours.

No water in the pan, but thinking of just cranking it up to 275.

Followed the suggestion of this thread--I have a foil pan catching the drippings which I will probably mix back in when I shred it.

Starting to backtrack wrapping it.....

Is it worth it? What do you guys think? I have about 4ish hours left and it's at 158 internal temp

It's bark is starting to set. It's been on the smoker for about 7ish hours.

No water in the pan, but thinking of just cranking it up to 275.

Starting to backtrack wrapping it.....

Is it worth it? What do you guys think? I have about 4ish hours left and it's at 158 internal temp

You should be approaching the "stall". You could let it ride or foil it when it hits 165, or bump it up like you're thinking to 275 and you'll get thru it faster.

Tim

Back