Cubano butt and Sicilian pie

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Championship weekend. So for the best weekend in football we’re breaking out some quality chow.

Broke down a BI butt into logs and saved 2# for grinding for another time.

Seasoned it up in Cuban spices and citrus. Placed into an aluminum tray with the marinade juices to add some smoke onto the pork.

1706469988138.jpeg

1706470016917.jpeg

1706470038553.jpeg

Doing a hybrid cook. Coals in CBs and on low temp with wood chunks atop the grate. Goal is to add smoke and cook the Cubano at 300° or so. Pull temp is 175° so we can slice it. Or maybe go further and make tacos with it.

Sicilian pizza dough, 70% hydration which I whipped up yesterday afternoon and did a cold fridge ferment.

Let it sit out for 2 hours and then shaped it in an oiled 14”x14” Lloyd’s pan.

1706470794138.jpeg

1706470807811.jpeg

I’ll make the final stretch and then begin the parbake with San Marzanos atop the dough.

1706470868623.jpeg

Last edited:
Making great progress on the Cubano pork

1706475786653.png

Parbake is done

1706475821161.jpeg

Dresses for success. Mozz, grated parm, fresh basil and evoo

1706475863047.jpeg

Your cook is epic, 9er's defense is epic failure, let's hope they come out in the 2nd half with some defense, but I'm not holding my breath

Nice looking grub, Cubano tacos is a new one......looks pretty good, did you think about making them in a birria style.....or something like that just to give it that different twist?
All I know is when I make the sandwich, I make sure to give some extra attention to the bun itself rather than just tossing it on a roll.

Last edited:
Nice looking grub, Cubano tacos is a new one......looks pretty good, did you think about making them in a birria style.....or something like that just to give it that different twist?
All I know is when I make the sandwich, I make sure to give some extra attention to the bun itself rather than just tossing it on a roll.
It was a conscious decision as I didn’t want a heavy smoked flavor but rather an enhanced profile. I also didn’t want to set up the WSK with its deflector so this method allowed me to cook sub 300° as a smoke/braise.

Because I cut the butt to smaller logs, I was able to do this in short time and the flavor profile was very high.

After I chunked the cooked butt, I added in some pineapple concentrate along with spiced rum and around half of the braising jus, covered the pan and added 20 more minutes on the WSK.

Super tender, lots of flavor and almost no leftovers.

We chose tacos as I had fresh tortillas on hand and after all the bread from the pizza, we didn’t want traditional Cubano sandos.

Overall, this was a win. Great meal, great game and a fun day.

All I can say is "WOW"!

Both the pie and the tacos look amazing. Great job Brett.
Firing on all cylinders. It was a good day. Next try is a 75% hydration fought. This 70% was very good. I’m close to getting where I want this pie to be.

Back