Cubano’s improved?

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Got another lean pork roast real cheap. This one was like 9 bucks, and it’s a pretty good size. Committed to Cubanos both tonight and tomorrow night.
Left rub on it for a few hours while we went to the lake...went for lunch and hit up a Jamaican food joint.....goat was the special of the day. It was very good there. I asked for some of the hot sauce in a little cup, it looked like hot pepper seeds basically.....it was good but the heat darn near blew my doors off and I eat pretty hot food.
Came home and made some marinade.
Juice from 1 whole orange and lime, brown sugar, oregano and gringo grande rub.
Left that for 2 hours, sliced the fat cap a tad and added more oregano and gringo grande.
Plan is to toss it on the performer here in a few and I have a nice hunk of peach wood, going to give a nice blue smoke.
Toss it in the fridge after it cools for nice thin slices......picked up some nice “ grandpa’s ham “, Swiss, and have sliced dills.
Going to make a ballpark mustard, mayo sauce as well.
What’s improved you say?
The mayo mustard combo and I went with extremely soft panini buns that are not a traditional sub length or sub bun.
These look closer to 8 inches........yeah 8 inches.......and hoping to stack the Sammie a tad thicker and give the cheese a qwick microwave melt right before assembling. I don’t see many posting this cook but let me tell you it’s hard to get the cheese “melty” while pressing it between 2 cast pans on the oven.....or even the bbq.
It’s going to be great, pics to follow.
Oh and the MRS said to let you guys know she has the sides tonight...........🤪
We picked up some bold, crinkle cut, kettle dill chips for a super easy side......she says she slaved all day on the sides......
She’s a big joker.....😜

Attachments

• D2F4A99C-BA88-48C7-B1C3-8437C149680F.jpeg
    D2F4A99C-BA88-48C7-B1C3-8437C149680F.jpeg
    168.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 4BE1D4C1-3EB1-4699-BA00-2080B130D2E7.jpeg
    4BE1D4C1-3EB1-4699-BA00-2080B130D2E7.jpeg
    252.8 KB · Views: 8
I’ll sneak one in......sitting at 117 right now.
The fat cap won’t do much with this cook even though I gave it a go.
Looking to pull at 135 or so to keep it hopefully mildly pink for slicing later.
Lid thermo is reading 275 ish.....manually keeping a hunk of peach smouldering for good smoke instead of on fire.
These are gonna be good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 6
She wanted me to make a point here, bolder and crunchier. It’s the crinckle cut.
She worked her butt off.
Sammie’s coming in soon....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 7
When we were in Scotland years back, I recall having tried all kinds of chips that you couldn't get here at the time. Some wacky combinations, but they really worked well. Ketchup flavor was one of them.

Great admiration! -- and two comments.

One, you blew my mind with this line "hit up a Jamaican food joint" when I erroneously read "lit" -- fit with food, but truly the wrong path.

Second, love your pics and description. We used to have a local restaurant that served a really good Cubano with beer cheese as side dip. The dip was made with a very sharp NC cheddar from the cheese factory in West Jefferson NC. The factory is well worth a side trip to visit. The Cubano and dip were the best I ever had. I've tried to make this dish and will keep trying at times, but just not the same. Maybe if you...

Got a few pics last night but not very good ones......they go down hill generally as the weekend evenings get later....
I am making these again tonight and will take more pics....post up whatever looks best.
Thanks for checking it out, sorry I didn’t get pics up last night, the night got away from me and I have been very busy today.

Back