Crockpot Reheating

Van DeWald

TVWBB Fan
Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Please move if necessary. I'm smoking a 9lb pork butt tonight, to be served at a work luncheon on Monday. Plan to reheat the meat in the crockpot Monday morning. About how long will it take to get back up to serving temperature? Or should I microwave it a bit before putting in the crockpot to give it a temperature boost? Not new to smoking, but new to reheating the meat for a large group. Thanks!

Cold food takes awhile to get up to serving temp in a crock, so you could nuke it or place it in a 325deg oven till it reaches 135-140deg ( stirring often ). Transport it in a cooler wrapped in towels and then all you need the crockpot is to hold it at safe temps till serving.
Add some stock or apple juice to keep it moist.
HTH

Tim

I won't have access to an oven at work, but could warm it up at home, and then keep warm in the crockpot at work. Thanks for the tips Tim.

Last edited:
Can you reheat over sternos is in steamer trays?

If you refrigerate and then reheat Monday that's your best bet

It seems like four hours (8am to noon) on high in a slow cooker would be plenty of time to heat up about 5 pounds of pork. (the 9lb PB will be a lot less after pulling) I would take it to work in the crock and turn it on high and watch it, stir it, spritz it, and turn it down as needed. If the slow cooker doesn't have a high setting, then I would heat the meat at home first.

I smoked it last night. Useable meat came out to about 4.5 lbs, right at about 50% of the raw uncooked butt. I agree, crockpot on high should get the job done. How much spritzing do you think I'll need to do? As in, any estimates on how much extra apple juice should I be prepared to add?

That's cool if you guys get paid to watch over the PP while its coming up to temp.
I don't, so when I do bring some to share, I do like I posted, than hold it in a crock on low or warm till break time.
If you do need to add some stock or juice, a single serve bottle or can is more than enough.
The thing with crocks on HH with PP is if you leave it on to long the pork starts to dry out and becomes more like shredded pork than pulled pork, if you know what I mean.

Tim

Back