Crockpot butt question

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
I will be at a condo for the 4th and can't smoke anything, bummer. However, the other day, i walked into a diner and the smell of barbque was in the air. I asked the chef and he said he cooks it in a crock pot, not smoke, just bbq sause. While not nearly as good as what i've made on the weber, it was decent. Partially, i thought his sweet and spicy sause was good so that helped.

anyway, i've never cooked a butt in a crock pot so thought i'd ask if any of you have had success and can offer tips. He only cooks his for a few hours so it had a bit too much "chew". Should I get a 7 lb butt and put it on low for 10 hrs with a meat probe? Add liquids? While not preferred, i'd love to be able to have que over the 4th.

No type of grill at all to brown it first and add alittle smoke?
If not just use the indoor appliance with a CI pan to brown it. There are some ready made store bought spices made just for PP on the crock-pot, but I never tried them. Do a Google search for "Crock-pot Pulled Pork" and you should find one that's decent. I remember one from BH&G that I used before and it was good. It had green peppers and onions as a bottom layer.
HTH

Tim

If if were me, instead of the crock pot, I would do low and slow in the oven just like you would in your smoker. Rub it up good, put on a rack in a pan and go 260* until tender. Only thing you'll miss is the smoke.

I had planned on doing a marinated butt for cuban sandwiches on the smoker with no smoke wood. I knew I would only get a hint of smoke flavor from the charcoal and that is what I wanted. Will we had killer storms that day, so in the oven it went. So good, next time I plan that for cuban's, it will probaly be in the oven.

back in the day I used to do them low and slow in the oven as mentioned but every hour I would spray with an apple juice,cider vinegar,liquid smoke mixture. They turned out okay. not great, but okay

crockpot is going to be fatty/greasy. I suppose you could drain it in a colander & re-sauce, or you could do it on a rack in the oven.

I had pulled pork out of a crockpot @ my cousin's house a little over a year ago, it really was pretty good.

Wrong forum, I do believe.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Back