Crazy fast brisket

CullenJ

TVWBB Super Fan
Yesterday, for my birthday meal, I went to the local meat market and picked up some ribs and a brisket. Ribs were for dinner and brisket was intended for breakfast today. I pulled the ribs off after five hours and they were done as expected. I also moved the brisket from the lower rack to the upper rack. During the move, I noticed it seemed to have cooked quite a bit more than I was anticipating. I checked the temp at it was already 180 in the flat! I started checking for tenderness and it was done in another couple of hours. That was a 11.25# CAB done in 7 hours. Fastest cook time I've ever had on a brisket.

During the entire five-hour rib cook, the temp in the WSM was around 225-230. The temp spiked to 275 when I took the ribs off, but never went higher than that.

I was rather shocked.

My briskets seem to cook faster than most peoples as well. Put a 14.7lber on at 0530..I am guessing 10 to 12 hours maybe but it may surprise me and be done in 8 or 9. (my wsm like 250)

Wow, that is fast. Can I ask what you are measuring temps with?

I was using the WSM's therm. However, I know that mine is about 25-30 degrees off (low) and the temps I gave were adjusted/actual. I used to use a Polder in the top vent for more accurate measure, but knowing the degree of variation, I don't need it any more.

I think the ultra long brisket cooks you hear about are large ones, at 225, and not wrapped.

I'd believe a brisket that small was done that quickly. I get monster CAB packers (18+ lbs) done at 250 in about 10 hours, and they're probably quite a bit thicker than the one you had.

I suppose. I have cooked a lot of brisket and my experience with them is that they usually take at least an hour per pound. I thought this was an exceptionally fast cook given the relatively lower temps and the size. I wasn't displeased and the results were great. I'm not a foiler - in fact, I almost always just rub it and throw it on and just check on it now and then. Just a happy surprise.

Hey, if it worked out, it's all good.

Thickness matters a lot more than weight. If you took an 11lb brisket and hammered it to a flank steak thickness, it would be done in a few hours.

Back