Craycourt cast iron grates for the Kettle

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I noticed Kosmos has these cast iron grates on his Kettle. I searched the forum for these grates and the last post was in 2017.

What has been the user experience ?

Are they all about grill marks ?

I’d like to hear more about them as well, Lynn.
But, since there hasn’t been much traction in four years, maybe they ain’t so hot?

I’m getting the feeling that we may be on the same page here. I kid of liked the concept but, it seems that they are not big conversation subjects.

Cast iron grates give you good grill marks, as cast retains heat better, but they take longer to heat up, and require more care. Also, at the temps that you will use them at, 450+ you are in the danger zone of burning off the seasoning, leaving you to need to reseason them quite often. I collect cast iron, and love it, but not on my grill grates. I found Grill Grates, (the product), to give me the same effect of cast, but with a quicker preheat and easier care. I've got a post on some pork tenderloin medallions over in the Smokefire forum, done on the Grill Grates, if you want to see the results.

Charlie

I liked the variety of “griddle” and grill but, I’m not really that interested, I have the GBS set up with the CI insert but, there was quite a bit of hub but about these a few years ago and now, nada, bupkis, doodly squat.
Not looking to buy but, I thought the 1/4 piece of pie set up was interesting.

I kinda like the idea of the Malory cast iron. It's a three piece design, but it seems like it could be a little easier to maintain with fewer nooks and crannies as the Craycourt. Certainly doesn't have the add-on options, though.

Well, I'm torn on the Weber Gourmet Grill system. I like removing that center section when I'm using the Vortex. But the rest of the time, I hate it. Ya have to take the grill off in two moves. And when ya try to get a spatula across the grate, it hangs up on the edges. And its hard to clean.

I'd like to replace it and just get it out when I use the vortex.

Well, I'm torn on the Weber Gourmet Grill system. I like removing that center section when I'm using the Vortex. But the rest of the time, I hate it. Ya have to take the grill off in two moves. And when ya try to get a spatula across the grate, it hangs up on the edges. And its hard to clean.

I'd like to replace it and just get it out when I use the vortex.

That's exactly what I do. I have the KillaGrilla grate with the one big single flip side that I use most of the time.
Then I have the Weber GBS grate that I use without the center section and use only when I'm cooking with Vortex or using my Wok.

That's exactly what I do. I have the KillaGrilla grate with the one big single flip side that I use most of the time.
Then I have the Weber GBS grate that I use without the center section and use only when I'm cooking with Vortex or using my Wok.

Why the single flip up side ?

Back