Craycort's Cast Iron Grate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered one today... He gave a better price for them if you preordered ($78). I'll report back when I get mine and start using it a bit. I'm excited!

I used my new CI grate for the first time a few hours ago to grill a pair of nice 1.25" strip steaks, together with some onions and green peppers. My initial reaction is as follows:

Ohhh, MERCY! Get. This. Grate.

I recognize that $100 (with shipping) is a heckuva lot to drop on a grill grate. I assure you that this is a heckuva lot of grate. The even heat that the cast iron cooking surface provides gave my steaks the kind of sear, with a nice crust on the meat, that has in my experience been elusive on Weber's SS wire rack. The caramelization of the onions and peppers was sublime - the fire really brought out their sweetness.

The grill marks on my first effort were impressive; I expect that, as I move along the learning curve, this grate will routinely produce grill marks that are, pick your adjective, spectacular . . . magnificent . . . "killer."

A parting thought. For one hundred dollars, you can get one meal at Morton's/Ruth's Chris - IF you don't have anything from the bar, and your dinner companion is content eating only the bread and butter that the server brings out after you order.

--OR--

That same Ben Franklin will get you a piece of righteous grilling equipment from which you will be turning out chophouse-quality meals for years and years and years.

It is true that the C-note you send to Craycort will no longer be available for a down payment on dinner at Morton's. But you'll never again really need dinner at Morton's, either.

Get. This. Grate.

I've been using one on my Performer for several months now. Here's some initial reactions.

Grill Marks: Excellent grill marks and cooking experience.

Convenience: This is going to require some changes in your routine. It's heavy and has to go somewhere while you're inside the grill getting the fire ready or cleaning. It doesn't readily hang form the performer and it comes in 5 pieces. Wherever you put it, it's gonna leave a mess.

Rust: I live in damp Pacific Northwest and was expecting major problems with rust. Hasn't been the case, however, I do not clean the grates after a cook and leave the crud on until the next cook. Additionally, when I shut down the performer after a cook, I lay down copious amounts of pam grill spray. This I believe provides a protective coat until the next cook. I clean it all off at the beginning of the next cook as I heat up the grate.

Price: STEEP. You could buy a brand new kettle for the price of this grate. This is somewhat offset by the fact that the grate could last forever.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Like I said, the grill marks and overall cooking experience make it worth it to me.

Pretty much agree with everything Mike Neiner typed...
Had mine for months now and i use em for every grillin'.
I'd buy em again in a heartbeat.
And when friends are over while you're grillin and they see em, their mouths drop
icon_eek.gif

I've been using my CI grates for several months now and I love them for their heat retention and grill marks.
But on the other hand I find using the standard wire grate more convenient for all other items, other than steaks.

I bought them. I like them. Also, my uncle is the president of the Pam company, and he thanks you.
icon_smile.gif
(NOT) I think, JMO, that not cleaning the grates after each cook is key as has been stated. Protects the grates.

I like mine a lot. The only thing I would have done differently is NOT order the griddle section, as I don't really use it as much as I expected.

Like any metal, including aluminum and SS, it will corrode (rust). Granted, leaving any grate uncleaned will leave an amount of oil and grease that will somewhat "protect" from rusting. BUT, the proper way is to clean the grate, cast iron or chrome, immediately after use. THEN coat with an oil. More than likely you have marinaded or used some type of spice or seasoning while cooking. These have "salts" and other chemicals that break down the fat that tenderize the meat. They also break down the metal.

Most of us that subscribe to a discussion group use "our" grills more often than the average Joe. I'll go far enough to say that using a cast iron grate will last longer if used more often than not using it provided you don't break it.

They are now available in Australia - (Thank you grillgrate.)

Mine is on its way - I cant wait to give it a good workout. I have a couple of weeks off over Christmas so it's going to get a solid workout.
Actually between it, my new Traeger BB075, and my Q220 there wont be a meal that is not cooked on a BBQ and that includes Christmas Dinner.

Cheers

Phil - not to hijack the thread, but how do you like the pellet burner? I got a "hankerin" for one but no cash. I just got a large Kamado Joe (think Big Green Egg, but red) to play with (a gift) but am always thinking about the next cooker toy!

Pat

I bought the grates..they are good quality & work "as advertised". However, I use my WSM a lot more than my performer, but use the performers gas lighter to light my chimney (that works incredibly well!) ... hence, huge hassle with the grates.... If I could get $45 for the grates & grate tool.. you pay shipping ..you got 'em
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Phil - not to hijack the thread, but how do you like the pellet burner? I got a "hankerin" for one but no cash. I just got a large Kamado Joe (think Big Green Egg, but red) to play with (a gift) but am always thinking about the next cooker toy!

Pat

Pat
You can tell from all my posts that I am a Weber guy through and through and can and have cooked countless dishes on them all and demonstrate cooking for Weber part time. Having said that I love the Traeger Pellet grill for low and slow and for roasting, It produces the absolute best flavour -16 hour pork butts are no trouble at all, it uses about 4 Kg (8 1/2 Lb)of pellets just set and forget. Spritz a couple of times thats all. 7 hour Beef ribs that have the right amount of chew and are so succulent that they melt on your tongue. No wonder they are winning so many BBQ Comps with them. Pizzas on the Traeger are abolutely divine. However having said all that as a grill for high temp grilling and producing those perfect grill marks with the likes of the Grill Grate on the Kettle or on the Q or Genesis the Traeger makes a good washing machine.
This only goes to add weight to what we all say, there is no one BBQ that can do everything perfectly and it all depends on what you are cooking and what the desired result is that you want.
I would certainly endorse the Traeger as a BBQ for low and slow.

Cheers

John I also ordered the CI grates from Larry this past Wednesday and can't wait to give them a try.

I have had these for six weeks or so. The grates themselves are wonderful. I love the grill marks. They are easy to clean so far. All is great with the grates.

What I don't like, however, is the change it has necessitated. There is no way to get a chimney starter in there. The purchase of the Performer was for the gas assist and the table. This cripples the gas assist. I don't like that.

I recently moved the grates to the OTG so I can use the gas on the Performer for the chimney. This may work out okay in the long run if I leave the rotisseries setup on the Performer. It's just all backwards from what I had desired. It also means I need to remove two covers and work with two grills just to cook hamburgers.

I am contemplating a weed burner, but that seems to be just another device to compensate for something I already have.

I love the grates, but it has introduced problems.

There is no way to get a chimney starter in there. The purchase of the Performer was for the gas assist and the table. This cripples the gas assist. I don't like that.
This is the main reason I've held off buying the ci grate, even though I do use the char baskets much of the time.

I use my CIGs on nearly every grillin' I do (ok, 100% of the time)... and, yes, I do use a Weber charcoal chimney to start my coals...
What I use is this. I call it my Great Grate Dock. It's made of stainless and is about 13" in diameter - about 8" high and the opening is bout 9". I use my ol' leather glove that's always around while I'm cookin' and lift the grates this way then set 'em down on the Great Grate Dock when I wanna fire up the chimney.
I rolled it outta scrap-dropoff stainless from the factory I work at, butt really, anything else similar would work... an old bucket, a garbage can... and the opening on the side needn't be there.
It's jus' somethin' that works for me.
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back