Craycort Grates for Genesis?

Craycort is more or less the standard in cast iron grates for Kettles. I have their GBS insert, and it’s a nice piece of iron. I was kicking around the idea of getting GBS grates for my Genny, then I thought I’d look at just going all cast iron for grates. This is looking promising.

Last edited:
I have never seen those, either. Craycort makes great stuff. This looks to be no exception. I still have a couple nice sets of the very old Weber cast iron that were not porcelain coated and which were at least close to these Craycort grates. The old Weber grates are getting extremely hard to find in useable condition. Craycort Looks like a great choice at a very fair price!

Never owned them but would have bought a set if they were priced closer to the Stanbroil's I ended up getting. The Craycorts are nice, I would not hesitate to buy them if they are in your budget.

I've heard good things about Craycort - probably worth a shot. I switched back to weber's original SS grates on my Genny but i liked the cast iron grates I had for a while, and there are some advantages to the cast iron..

I'm very impressed with the second picture they show on their site. Definitely what they look like after a cook or 3. That's a very impressive picture, unlike most photos which show a sanitized brand-new version of something!

Well, I did it. Got the grates and a lifter for $90 delivered. Not half bad. There’s a tiny rock to both halves - the top right and bottom left corners are maybe 1/16” higher than the other two. I just sprayed them down with cooking spray and got them smoking hot. A couple more rounds of that treatment and I’ll be ready to roll. 1E734E1D-8933-4E4E-B60D-5EE4F399F84A.jpeg

Wow! Very nice! And *not* porcelain-enameled, correct?

Very nice grates. If I didn't already have big fat stainless rod grates, I'd seriously consider them!

I didn’t try flipping them. There’s a pretty decent draft to the grate bars, so the bottom is at least 50% wider than the top. I’ll check it out once I’m done seasoning them.

And no, they’re not porcelain enameled. I know they’ll need more attention, but I think it’ll be worth it.

I'm actually glad to hear that they aren't porcelain enameled. A well-seasoned set of cast iron grates without anything between the iron and the meat is always a good thing! I feel like the porcelain coated ones are for people who grill maybe a few times a summer. I grill at least three times a week (although usually one of those is a rotisserie chicken, so no grates) and the porcelain coated cast iron is a non starter for me. Too much traffic, too easy to start peeling.

Apparently the grates had some residual stress from casting that just needed to get worked out with a few heat cycles. Also - apparently my fire box isn’t completely straight, either. The righthand grate is now perfectly formed to its seat in the fire box, and the lefthand side has so little rock that I wouldn’t have mentioned it in the first place. I tried flipping the lefthand side, and it’s substantially worse than before when it’s upside-down.

Those we look really nice!👍 I hope they do settle down for you in time. Like others have said, the REAL uncoated cast iron and tight spacing are both big positives. Maybe someday, but for now I have a couple sets of the Original Weber cast iron grates that are also uncoated.

BF144ABA-58E1-4BDD-A90D-23D66DCB5AD8.jpeg

C55681FE-943E-4E30-90A0-B8A66816F247.jpeg

CEFFB80E-3787-41B9-8B30-3AA2FA9094AC.jpeg

Last edited:
No not for the genesis.

I did have craycort grate for my 22 kettle. Heavy cast iron.

It might be okay someplace with no humidity, like Arizona, West Texas, Colorado, California. But here in the deep humid southeast.... it rusted away rapidly. Grilling temperatures simply burn off seasoning. Maybe if you want to take it off the grill every time you use it re-season it and then store it indoors it would last. Stainless steel grate i replaced it with is a thousand times better. Basically, it was a waste of money.

No not for the genesis.

I did have craycort grate for my 22 kettle. Heavy cast iron.

It might be okay someplace with no humidity, like Arizona, West Texas, Colorado, California. But here in the deep humid southeast.... it rusted away rapidly. Grilling temperatures simply burn off seasoning. Maybe if you want to take it off the grill every time you use it re-season it and then store it indoors it would last. Stainless steel grate i replaced it with is a thousand times better. Basically, it was a waste of money.
That’s too bad. I love uncoated cast iron but never said it was easy. I had one for the Big Green Egg I used to own. I agree that it burned off the seasoning on high heat cooks. Living in South Florida at the time, I had to coat with oil after using and often did store inside. You are obviously right that stainless steel rods are a lot less hassle and certainly work well. I use them gladly, but they don’t give me that down to earth real grilling feel that old-fashioned cast iron does.

Back