Craycort cast iron inserts

Ordered some grates a few months back when I picked up a Performer. Love them so far, and the only issue I've had is having to adjust for the heated cast iron cooking the food more quickly. I usually spray my grates down with canola oil after every use and haven't had any issues yet. I tend to use my gasser more in the winter, then my charcoal grills, so I'm unsure if I'll store the grates in the house for the winter.

Last edited:
Keep them oiled and you should have no problems. I live in Houston, moisture is a given but cast iron when it rusts can be brushed off and re-oiled.

JL

We have the same issues in Southwest Florida, but it has not been a problem keeping them rust free. I have them on my Joe too, which does not get used as often as my performer. Even when the Craycort sits for a few months, if they're greased, they don't rust.

I've found a good use for my left over bacon grease, it's great for seasoning the Craycorts. I just clean the grill after a cook and grease them up and choke out the fire. I've had not rust issues at all.

Tommy:

The quarters going different directions can and is a little pain in the rear, but it is not unworkable, just need to attack the food from the right angles. I picked up a cheap butchers knife on Amazon for $20, the same knife the Pit Boys use in their videos, but without the Pit Boys engraving. Anyway, with the knife and a good spatula, I've never had a major problem with the quarter direction of the Craycort.

CraigW

Back