Craycort cast iron inserts

Jay G

TVWBB Member
Just ordered a set and added 2 hot plate/griddle inserts. Cant wait to put to put them to use. I've been eye balling these for a long while.

They aren't cheap though. If you add some other inserts they can be more expensive than the grill itself!!

I've had a set in my cart at Amazon for A while but can't get myself to place the order. I'd be interested in how you like them once they arrive.

I mainly want the griddle/hot plate feature. I ordered 2 of these of these so half the grill will have a flat surface for cooking. Shouldn't have to use my cast iron on the grill much

I have them also. Used them a few months then went back to the ordinary Weber hinged grate. I didn't really like that the grate direction wasn't uniform among the quarters. Who would design such a thing? You need to put your steak right on the quarter to get uniform grill marks on the entire steak.

They are sitting in my shed now all rusted up. Keep thinking one day I'll refinish them, only because I have them.

After having them, I wouldn't buy them again. Grill marks are over rated IMO. Go for taste!

I have them also. Used them a few months then went back to the ordinary Weber hinged grate. I didn't really like that the grate direction wasn't uniform among the quarters. Who would design such a thing? You need to put your steak right on the quarter to get uniform grill marks on the entire steak.

They are sitting in my shed now all rusted up. Keep thinking one day I'll refinish them, only because I have them.

After having them, I wouldn't buy them again. Grill marks are over rated IMO. Go for taste!

fellow Canadian! I would take them I live in Kamloops BC.

Gary

I didn't really like that the grate direction wasn't uniform among the quarters. Who would design such a thing? You need to put your steak right on the quarter to get uniform grill marks on the entire steak.

I thought the same thing about the quarters being different directions.

I agree, just went back to the old ones myself. I don't like how they get burned off on high heat, turn white then rust. I spray the heck out of them but it's a constant battle against the rust. All my cooking gear is Lodge cast iron, love the stuff, would never use something else, but these are a pain.

Just ordered a set and added 2 hot plate/griddle inserts. Cant wait to put to put them to use. I've been eye balling these for a long while.

You'll love them. When not being used store them in the house and keep them oiled. I have the bowl too, break for veggies and shrooms. They should last you a lifetime. I use Craycort on my Joe and Performer, I'll never go back to plated grills.

Have fun!

So far they are working out for me, but I can see where you guys are turned off with them. I'll continue to use them but who knows if they'll will become a PIA for me lol.

Jay, what don't you like about them? I'm thinking about getting some for my performer, and want to hear real world reviews and opinions.
Thanks,
Tim

The biggest benefit for having wide cast iron grates is not for sear marks, a wire grate over charcoal Sears the whole area.
The wide cast iron grates allows you to grill & sear fish , seafood & other small delicate items that would not work well with wire grates & in a fish or other basket you don't get any sear.

This is the set of Charbroil grates I bought after my original grates wore out.
Not as good as craycraft but was $31 delivered!

Jay, what don't you like about them? I'm thinking about getting some for my performer, and want to hear real world reviews and opinions.
Thanks,
Tim

Tim, I do like them but I can agree with the few that posted their dislikes. Their negatives don't bother me though if that makes sense. Its a little more aggravating to load your charcoal because they are heavy and you'd want the grate tool to lift the grates out. And they require more maintenance to keep them in good condition. I haven't used it yet, but I know I'll enjoy my griddle inserts.

Back