Craycort Cast Iron Grates

Gee Tim, it looks like you got the last one!
I have found some seasoning the first firing is a good idea. I mean really, what can it hurt? My brother has a set and he likes them very much.
When I replace grates next time, I will consider a set of those.
You know, a 2 1/2 inch thick porterhouse might be an easier way to season the rascal! And infinitely more tasty!

Got a Craycort cast iron grill grate for my Weber OTG for Christmas and haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. Anyone here have any tips or recommendations for first time use? I think I read it will need to be seasoned before/after each use.
I've had mine about 6 years. Wiped a little peanut oil on them before first use, after that nothing. Cooking on them keeps them seasoned. Preheat for 10 minutes, brush, and cook

Just a heads up. You can get those on sales Father's Day and Black Friday (Black Friday is the better price)

Store them inside after cooking. (let them cool down first). I put them back on after starting the coals and give them about 5 mins and then use a wire brush and then spray them with oil again, and wait about 5 minutes before putting meat on.

Do you guys who use Craycort's on long 5-10 hours cooks on a Weber Kettle do you still use your Craycort's? On this type of cook where it is all indirect do you leave off the two grates over the coals?
TIA

I use my Craycort grate for everything. In fact, since I got the Craycort grate around 5 years ago I haven't used the 'stock' grate even once. I usually leave all of the grates in place on long cooks since I use the snake method, and this allows me to easily slide the meat around as the coals burn to keep it directly oppose the heat at all times.

Thanks guys. I've just been brushing/coating with oil as the OTG is heating up, then after the cook I just brush them off.

Back