Craigslist find Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bode M

TVWBB Member
I found a craigslist ad listing a performer for 50 dollars. It has a stainless steel work surface and appears to be in great shape. I hope it last until Sunday when I can pick it up.

I am still trying to figure out how to post pictures, but once I figure it out, ill show it off!

Matt

Post a link to the CL ad. Always enjoy checking them out. Hope you get the score, $50 is a great price.

Well I would post a link, but the guy sent them by email. It's red and has a stainless table, plus a propane bottle, I think 20 pound.

It has little rust and the guy said it's about 6 years old, but I don't know til I look at it.

Anyways i'll post as soon as I get credintials!

Originally posted by Bode M:
Well I would post a link, but the guy sent them by email. It's red and has a stainless table, plus a propane bottle, I think 20 pound.

It has little rust and the guy said it's about 6 years old, but I don't know til I look at it.

Anyways i'll post as soon as I get credintials!

If it is red it is over 10 years old. I think they stopped making red in 99'. I hope you get it. $50 is a great price if it is in decent shape. I would like to grab a red one myself.

Hope you get it. If you do post some pics.

As your attorney, I advise against posting a link to the cl ad,at least until it's in your hot little hands. Furthermore establish a rapport with the seller. If you have to wait a couple days to complete this transaction, let him know that you will happily pay his asking price if all is as advertized, and that the grill is going to a good home.
icon_smile.gif

On the lid vent he found EO and RAT 3538906 on a sticker underneath by the tank i found 167466

It has EO on the lid, so it looks to be the 1995 model. He says he doesnt know if the ignition still works, so I would guess, no. Are parts still available?

Here is a link to the pictures. What do you guys think its worth? I am going to buy a performer regardless, (I have a 200 gift card from work). So what does everyone think? Buy one, buy the used, or buy both?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5...s/72157625305127811/

On the lid vent he found EO and RAT 3538906 on a sticker underneath by the tank i found 167466

It has EO on the lid, so it looks to be the 1995 model. He says he doesnt know if the ignition still works, so I would guess, no. Are parts still available?

Here is a link to the pictures. What do you guys think its worth? I am going to buy a performer regardless, (I have a 200 gift card from work). So what does everyone think? Buy one, buy the used, or buy both?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5...s/72157625305127811/

It looks to be in great shape and you can clean it up to be "like new". I would jump on this deal. Most of the parts can be bought from Weber directly. Plus we will help you get her up and running. I am sure the ignition still works probably just needs to be cleaned out and the propane filled.

Let us know what you decide.

IMHO- I would much rather have this red one than a brand new performer. I have both models currently and I use the Stainless table one pretty much everyday.

Thanks for the advice... I am going to try and get it tomorrow.. First thing I want to do is paint the frame (black part), if I paint that, the rest will look dang new brand new.

Next I want to polish the stainless..

Ill just replace the grates, and check on the ignition system...

What do you guys recommend about the propane? Just get a fitting and fill it up myself, or convert it to a bigger trade in tank?

Do you guys think that this would also fit in the back of a tahoe, with the back sets removed?

Also, will next grates fit in this fine? I am going to buy them from home depot.

Thanks for the advice... I am going to try and get it tomorrow.. First thing I want to do is paint the frame (black part), if I paint that, the rest will look dang new brand new.

What do you guys recommend about the propane? Just get a fitting and fill it up myself, or convert it to a bigger trade in tank?

See if the tank on it has the OPD and the date on the tank. My tank was 14 years old and the local do it center guy filled it. That should last for awhile. Otherwise you can buy a brand new tank from Weber for $50. Paint for the frame is cheap and it is very easy to do. You can make that thing look brand new for not very much money.

Originally posted by Scott Guerber.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bode M:

See if the tank on it has the OPD and the date on the tank. My tank was 14 years old and the local do it center guy filled it. That should last for awhile. Otherwise you can buy a brand new tank from Weber for $50. Paint for the frame is cheap and it is very easy to do. You can make that thing look brand new for not very much money. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like it has the newer OPD valve on it so this seems like a great deal.

It'll fit in the back of a Tahoe - It'll fit in the back of an Explorer. Take a tarp so that, if you want, you can take the lid off and flip it upside down for the ride. Disconnect the tank, of course, and let it ride alone.

Jump on this one!

Pat

Im picking it up this morning!
I already bought hi temp black paint for the frame. Im also going to replace the grates, and try to get the propane bottle filled today so i can check out the ignition system. Im kind of confused about the one touch cleaning, so you guys may have to walk me through fixing it up (hopefully it wont need it)

Ill take pics before I start... Quick question, has anyone painted the inside of the kettle? Or is that a bad idea?

Matt

The inside of the kettle is black porcelain after removing it trom the frame and removing the one touch clean it with ez-off oven cleaner (yellow can). might take two or more cans to get all the old crud off. But it then will look just like new. remove he burner and the ash catcher before starting also.

Im picking it up this morning!
I already bought hi temp black paint for the frame. Im also going to replace the grates, and try to get the propane bottle filled today so i can check out the ignition system. Im kind of confused about the one touch cleaning, so you guys may have to walk me through fixing it up (hopefully it wont need it)

Ill take pics before I start... Quick question, has anyone painted the inside of the kettle? Or is that a bad idea?

Matt

Great news! Go get it!

We will help you get it cleaned up. Don't paint the inside. Get Easy Off oven cleaner and use that a couple times. My grills have come out looking like new after. You can touch up rust spots on the outside with Duplicolor High Temp engine paint if you need to. Otherwise you can just Veggie oil them and they turn blackish over time instead of rusting out.

Good luck and post some pics when you get her home!

That's a heckuva $50 grill! Nice find. I'm only guessing from the pics, but I think a simple cleaning will have that looking like new. It appears to just be dusty/dirty.

Well.. I got it!

Ill post before and after pics soon.. I have already started cleaning it up, as that ez oven stuff works wonders! Ive had to put 2 coats on, and need one more, and it will be totally clean..

There are 2 things that Im having problems with.

1. Removing the old one touch that is totally rusted out... I can't figure out how to get it off..

2. Ignition doesnt seem to work... I refilled the bottle at Uhaul today (for 3 dollars), and tried to light it up to see if it worked, but nothing..

Im in the process of painting the frame, and its going to look great! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Well.. I got it!

Ill post before and after pics soon.. I have already started cleaning it up, as that ez oven stuff works wonders! Ive had to put 2 coats on, and need one more, and it will be totally clean..

There are 2 things that Im having problems with.

1. Removing the old one touch that is totally rusted out... I can't figure out how to get it off..

2. Ignition doesnt seem to work... I refilled the bottle at Uhaul today (for 3 dollars), and tried to light it up to see if it worked, but nothing..

Im in the process of painting the frame, and its going to look great! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations.

I can't wait to see some pics.

On the One touch, you might have to cut it off with a dremel tool if you can't get it off. I used PB Blaster and soaked it. I got it off pretty easily after that.

With regards to the ignition system you can take a wire hanger and clean out the burner tube in the grill and take out the regulator with the clip that attaches to the burner tube. A lot of times the regulator hose will have build up on it and the gas will barely come out. You will be able to smell it but it won't light. I would try that to see if you can get the ignition to work. It worked on my 97 performer.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back