covers in very wet regions

So if we are not worried about rust, then what are we worried about then? Mushrooms and black mold? Seems like a stretch to me.
LOL: Yah, mushrooms and black mold. That is not a stretch. Here is a Genesis SS PLatinum C sitting in my back yard right now. These are the knobs and this isn't the only grill I picked up for rehabbing that had mold and moss and probably tiny mushrooms growing on parts of it.
Notice the side handle as well.

20190901_162531.jpg
20190901_Knob.jpg

LOL: Yah, mushrooms and black mold. That is not a stretch. Here is a Genesis SS PLatinum C sitting in my back yard right now. These are the knobs and this isn't the only grill I picked up for rehabbing that had mold and moss and probably tiny mushrooms growing on parts of it.
Notice the side handle as well.

View attachment 19713
View attachment 19714
The green would not accumulate if it was covered. It is chlorophyll and plants only produce it in the sun.

The green would not accumulate if it was covered. It is chlorophyll and plants only produce it in the sun.

So you would kill the moss by keeping a cover on your grill?

Myth busted!

#science

So if Larry is right about this, then covering a wet grill with a cover will not cause any rust concerns. Which is the primary reason cited by folks on here for not covering a grill.
You totally read that wrong. It won't cause any concern on my Wolf. It's all 304 stainless. But it WILL cause LOTS of issues on your Weber grills and mine since they're only mild steel that is painted only on the outside

Myth busted!

#science
Moss grows where there is limited light and high moisture. Wasn't anyone here a boy scout?

The grill did come with a weber cover that had the rectangular vent in it. And yes, everyone knows that moss typically grows on the north side of trees as it has the least exposure to sunlight. Moss needs very little light to survive.

You people are cracking me up with this discussion :)so I will way in being from ATL. My grills are always covered but I only have one that is exposed to the elements. The Silver C Redhead in the spring time during pollen season without a cover would be a Silver C Yellow not to mention my steaks would probably look that way also. I have a cover with a vent on each side but a lot of these covers are too tall so I had my neighbor who has a sewing machine take both the 1000 and C covers up about 3 inches so there is some airflow underneath. They are probably half way up the wheels.

Whether it rains or not in the summertime on the occasions that I forgot to cover it after using it at night you come out the next day and it looks like you sprayed a garden hose over it. I guess this year I need to pull the cover off in the morning to see how much moisture is under there especially on the frame and lid but I think its up to all of us to maintain our grills, on the C, B 1000 for sure you frequently see rust form on the frame where it attaches to the firebox so I fixed that like many others when I did a restore but I pay attention to it also so if it starts coming back and I think not since I repaired it with JB weld I will address it.

I used to live in Jeff from MA part of the woods for those of you in Northern climates its hard understand how strong the sun is down here. I would be afraid of the fade even on my Redhead and as another poster mentioned a Black Lid would be worse if you did not cover it not to mention if you had wood slats which are going to take a beating from that sun. We get plenty of rain in the summer also afternoon thunder showers not everyday like Jon most likely got in FL but pretty frequently.

Myth busted!

#science
With no light moss would not survive. In fact with no light it will not produce chlorophyll. I wasn't a boy scout, but I do have a degree in Molecular, Cellular, and Developmental Biology with an emphasis on plants. If you have a vented cover it can, but not with a cover like a King Kong. Mold on the other had would be quite happy.

Back