Couple of questions for todays cook

Michael R

Got 2 slabs of St. Louis cut spares rubbed up ready to go on the 18.5 later this afternoon for a get together for the Richmond race tonight, gonna try the 3-2-1 method for the first time and have a couple questions.

1. I have a rib rack, would it be better to cut each slab in half, or just stand them up curled in the rack? Not sure about after foiling if it would affect the ends being over the hotter outside edge of the grate.

2. Planning on possibly doing some moinks or ABTs (probably both!) also, my thinking is to add those to the smoker when foiling the ribs. Sound about right?

Any other tips or suggestions appreciated as this is only the 4th attempt on the WSM!

Not a curling fan here so I'd cut in half butt that's just me. And I would figure 2-2 1/2 hours for your ABT/Moinkers.

Spares are so rich with fat and meat they don't need foiling unless your in a hurry. I would roll and skewer all 3 on the top rack and cook until tender, it won't affect the product at all and the presentation will be very cool for some Nascar gear heads!

Go #20

:wsm:

Last edited:
Spares are so rich with fat and meat they don't need foiling unless your in a hurry. I would roll and skewer all 3 on the top rack and cook until tender, it won't affect the product at all and the presentation will be very cool for some...

Yep. As good a way to go as any with three St. Louies or loinbacks on the 18.5", and this will keep the bottom rack free for whatever you throw on later.

Back