Country Time Lemonade Powder in a Rub

Mike Batsarisakis

TVWBB Super Fan
I was perusing some bbq books yesterday at the local bookstore, Paul Kirk's Championship BBQ and Ray Lamp's championship bbq both of which are excellent. I can't recall which of the two, but one of them uses country time leomonade powder in one of their rub mixtures. It sounds like a clever idea. Has anyone ever tried it in one of their rubs and if so how did you like it? Please advise.

You're right, Rick. Paul Kirk uses lemonade powder (Country Time) in recipes in Championship BBQ and also in Championship BBQ Sauces.

Rita

I think there are better ways to get those flavors while having better control over exactly what is in your rub. For lemon flavor -- lemon powder or better yet, fresh grated lemon zest if doing a paste, marinade or brine (plus lemon juice for the latter two). For sugar, I think we know what the options are there. What else does country time have other than a bunch of ingredients whose names are difficult to spell or pronounce? And how would you know how much sugar you have in your rub if adding country time?

Besides the Country Time, Tang works in interesting ways mixed into a rub for chicken.

Country time lemonade powder seemed like a unique ingredient to add in a rub recipe. Personally, I would substitute something more natural like zest. But of course I never tried it and was wondering if someone did. So, if anyone has ever tried it in a rub, I would love to know their thoughts. Mike.

Back