Country Style Ribs

Country style ribs (a/k/a western style) are merely sliced up pork shoulder meat that may or may not include pieces of shoulder-blade bone. They can be done low & slow, or grilled. Even though they contain the same fat content as the larger cut from which they are made, regular basting is a good idea to keep from drying them out.

I've tried them numerous times, primarily because they're inexpensive, but really haven't had much success.

Good luck with them though!

I actually preffer them to spares. I do them following the BRITU recipe and have never been dissapointed. When butts are on sale, I'll slice one up and turn it in to "country ribs". Think of it as winding up with 6-8 little mini butts.

I start them out as if I was doing a butt. I let them soak in the rub for an hour or overnight and then cook them like they were spares. Some times I foil them...sometimes not. It depends on my mood and the amount of adult beverages involved.

I think of them as a foolproof dinner, sometimes they're good and other times they're damn good.
icon_smile.gif

When I have made them I have cooked them only 3 hours total at 225 degrees. Any longer and they will come out too dry.

Zowie. It sounds like we're discussing two different cuts of meat here. I've never had these turn out bad yet folks with more experience are dissappointed?

I usually get mine from one of the local supermarkets. Sometimes I trim the fat, sometimes not. Sometimes I let the rub sit overnight, sometimes only an hour or 2. Sometimes I foil them for an hour or so, sometimes not. You get the idea.

My wife doesn't really care for smoked flavor yet she actually will request these. What am I doing wrong?

I think they are a reasonable alternative to a butt when you're short on time and don't have your heart set on pulled pork. I cook at 250 lid for a couple of hours and then foil for an hour with a little liquid. Finish outside foil to firm up but not long or you'll dry them out. Maybe baste them while you're finishing. Go light on smoke wood because they will suck it up.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil S:
What am I doing wrong? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think you mean, what are you doing right? Sounds like yours are turning out great...

Back to the original poster. Spare ribs would be a pretty good thing to use for Kevin's cochinita pibil recipe, where he uses pork shoulder, but cuts them into a few pieces...

I first tried these a few years ago when I was using my brinkman. I made them the same was as the baby backs. At the time it was rub with "old bay seasoning" marinate overnight in italian dressing. Smoke 6 hours foiling with pineapple juice for 90 minutes at 2 hours into the cook.

I quit marinating my baby backs because it gives it a hamy taste. I have moved on from that since I have found this website and got a wsm.
icon_wink.gif
For the country style I believe I would still do the marinating. Anyhow they are usually done a good hour before the baby backs.

Got my mouth watering. I haven't made country ribs since I got my WSM. I moved on to pork butt. That really is sounding good. and it is a shorter cook.

Back