Country Style Ribs

Dave, looks Great! I haven't had country ribs in ages... time to change that
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Dave,

Can you provide some details on the cook? It looks like you cooked them indirectly. Did you brine and how long did they cook?

Thanks,
Oak

No brining. Indirect the whole cook and sauced them during the last 15 minutes. These were done at about 300* after a minion method start with some hickory chips for smoke. Honestly, I don't remember how long they took, maybe 2.5 hours, but i could be off there. I pulled them at about 145* as the ones usually sold up here are cut from the loin as opposed to the shoulder. Regardless of internal temp, test for tender by probing.
Larry Wolfe claimes the ones cut from the shoulder, about 1.5 inches thick are better. Next time I go to the store, I'll ask the meat dept to slice up a bone in butt. I go to BJ's and they always seem to have some butts for sale. The ones cut from the shoulder will take longer to cook and will go to a higher internal temp until they are tender and the fat etc have rendered.

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I'm only 10 miles southwest of you so I too typically get the loin when I purchase Country Style Ribs. It took me a couple of times of making shoe leather until I realized I had to pull the "ribs" at much lower temperature. 145* sounds like a good number.

Regards,
Oak

Back