Could this be a Craigslist scam ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I posted this CL listing of a copper Performer in another thread here, and I don't wanna hijack that thread. I posted it because its so inaccurate its funny.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/hsh/d/edmond-weber-summit-grilling-center/7080192758.html

But I thought about it some more, so I replied to the post yesterday , asking if they still had the grill. I've gotten no response. I'm wondering what's really goin on here ?

This listing is now 15 days old. Was updated two days ago. Could this be a way of collecting email addresses to sell them ? I replied from a gmail acct I rarely use and only have it to avoid spam. I can find no other way to reply than email.

For the longest time, our local CL had a listing for a new in box, copper Smokey Joe, for something like $18 . I asked about it once, got no reply. It was listed for months , if not a full year. I always wondered what was behind it.

I guess it could be a scam, but more likely is this is the first time the person sold something on Craigslist. They probably sold it and are too lazy to remove it.

Maybe not a scam per say, but certainly someone who is hoping to catch someone who is misinformed. This frequently happens with the MT and premium grills. They will post a Premium as BRAND NEW MASTERTOUCH and try to sell it for $160 or more making you think you are getting a deal when the MT sells for $220+.

Just a troll of a person unfortunately.

I saw the same post. LOL. I sent it to a buddy of mine that is looking to get a copper performer. I told him to ignore the description.

I doubt its a scam. Also, if you send an email through craigslist, i think it makes it anonymous it for you. Some info is accurate, some is obviously not, some are just mistakes. Obv not summit grilling center, but they do run between 100-439 on craigslist which was a small added 0 and a slight exaggeration, but with tax and delivery, maybe they paid $500.

I would guess its not the person who was buying it, who is selling it. Either kids selling for parents, wife selling to clean out garage. Maybe they won it in a raffle, who knows. I wouldn't hesitate contacting them if I wanted it. Seems like a good deal if you wanted a copper one and were considering new, especially if they'd take $250

I wasted a lot of time and energy buying my blue one for $175 that was in too rough a shape for the price. spent way too much effort and some money cleaning up. It didn't end up being a deal. New for a bit more is a deal.

I doubt its a scam. Also, if you send an email through craigslist, i think it makes it anonymous it for you. Some info is accurate, some is obviously not, some are just mistakes. Obv not summit grilling center, but they do run between 100-439 on craigslist which was a small added 0 and a slight exaggeration, but with tax and delivery, maybe they paid $500.

I would guess its not the person who was buying it, who is selling it. Either kids selling for parents, wife selling to clean out garage. Maybe they won it in a raffle, who knows. I wouldn't hesitate contacting them if I wanted it. Seems like a good deal if you wanted a copper one and were considering new, especially if they'd take $250

I wasted a lot of time and energy buying my blue one for $175 that was in too rough a shape for the price. spent way too much effort and some money cleaning up. It didn't end up being a deal. New for a bit more is a deal.

It does take a lot of effort to monitor the various classified sites, but occasionally it pays off. A month of so ago I was lucky enough to get a free (!!!) stainless steel 310 Genesis. Was a pain trying to arrange a pickup time/location, but the grill was in amazing shape. That's not normal though, I just happened to be one of the first to message the lady when she first posted it.

I think nice charcoal grills are harder to come by...they are easier to transport since they are smaller and lighter so a lot more potential buyers are on the lookout.

New craigslist sellers may not realize that yahoo email accounts (and maybe others) often route craigslist responses to spam or trash folders. They may never see your response

Ping them again, why not? The first option for email on Craigslist is their anonymous email address. You don't have to use Gmail etc..

Back