Costco Brisket - What's available in your area / Other options?

Joshua_D

TVWBB Member
Hello fellow Weber-heads -

I'm a big fan of Costco meats; however, I'm frustrated with my local area Costco and the lack of availability of a packer cut (whole) brisket. My local Costco stores only seem to carry very closely trimmed flats. I've tried these several times but have had a difficult time with them being way too lean, resulting in a pretty dry finished brisket.

• My Area: Gaithersburg, MD
  • Number of Costco stores visited for brisket: Four
  • Costco Brisket: Flats only; ~ $3.90 / lb.

The only place I can get a decent whole packer brisket is Wagner's Meats. It's a bit of a haul for me to go there, but well worth it. Great butcher.

Other options: I've seen on the Forum that people are buying packer cut brisket at WalMart (I've not tried that yet), Sam's Club (? - I'm not a member), restaurant wholesalers (can a "regular Joe" purchase from these wholesalers?)

If you're a Costco shopper, what do you find in your area?

Happy smoking! :D

i recall just flats here too. And very well trimmed. not much fat left on them. I wasn't too excited when I saw them in the cooler.

Our Costco in Greensboro, NC also only has trimmed flats. Our Wal-Mart carries the whole packer. Haven't tried one yet but planning one for this weekend.

In the metro Atlanta area my experience has been flats at 2 Costco locations and the 3 Sam's I've been to carry packer and flats briskets.

I'm in Northern California three COSTCOs and two SAMs clubs. Flats only and trimmed. Don't know if they are nationwide or not but I've been getting packers at Cash & Carry. Last one I bought was 2.80/lbs when I was there buying lump this weekend full packer was 3.10 at the Yuba city store.

I don't suppose Mr. Costco is lurking on this forum and witnessing the frustration with his inconsistent brisket inventory. Hello? McFly?!....

hiBCyww-2_zpsf4c4d565.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

KRAMRm3_zps0fdd1f8b.gif
[/URL][/IMG]

This follows the law of supply and demand. In Austin where brisket is king, they can sell a lot of them. In other areas, just a few a week can't justify the stocking of a whole lot of packers. The best you could do would be to submit a request for packers at your Costco. If they get enough requests they might stock them. After they stock them, then someone has to buy them.

Same here in the Bay Area. Costco just has the flat cuts available. I tried one on the smoker and it turned out...not bad...but I think I'll stick with tri tip.

Our Costco only has flats. I get whole brisket at Sams Club. You might try asking the butchers at Costco. They are very friendly and helpful here.

@ Steve Bryson- I'm not sure where in the Bay Area you are, but the Costco Business Center in Hayward always has full packers. That's where I get mine. I was just there earlier today and they had a good selection. I'm pretty sure they're the same price as Steve Aguilar posted from San Diego, $2.29/lb.

Only fully trimmed flats at Costo on Long Island (at least western Long Island). About 2 weeks ago they were $4.00 which is still about $1.00 $1.50 a pound better than standard market. Honestly, I only use them for corned beef or pastrami. Too heavily trimmed and on those rare occasions I'm "showing off" and doing a packer I spring for a better grade.

I hear there's a Western Beef out here where I can get a choice packer for around $3.25. Haven't tried it yet. Might.

Only alternative I have is to order angus which is running me $5.50. Which... for a 12 to 18 .lb cut of meat ..... is a lot.... ya' know?

Costco - retail stores: Flats only

Costco Business Centers: Flats, packers....plus large selection of both Choice & Select beef

Cash & Carry (different names nationally....think "Best Foods" & "Hellman's"): Select packers and, sometimes, Choice. May have flats around St. Patty's Day.

Sam's Club & some Walmarts: Heard they have packers but never bought one there

Restaurant Depots: Packers.....hear they have have CAB packers.....not a member

I am in in north/central NJ and there are no packers to be found around here except for Restaurant Depot. I tried to get one special order from the local shop rite butcher but it turned out to be a very expensive $5,50/lb 10lb flat

Back