Costco baby back ribs - new way(for me)

Ali Mivehchi

TVWBB Member
I usually do my baby backs 3-2-1 method. On Saturday I decided to skip the steaming/rib bath part and instead go the spray route with mixture of maple syrup, apple juice, and apple cider vinegar and sprayed the ribs twice, once at a 3:30 hour, once at 4 hour mark.Well the mistake that I made was adding vinegar to the mixture because I believe it dried up the ribs. May have to stick with what I know. Steaming/ rib bath method. Pictures are below. Please feel free to share your thoughts regarding what I think I did wrong. Thanks.

Ribs look good..I don't think your vinegar mixture dried your ribs. Possible temp was too high and cooked to long? Do them again... My buddy does no foil process with 1/2 apple cider and 1/2 apple vinegar. They come out good.

Tony, I must agree with you, now that I have had a chance to read your post. I ususally run the temp at 225-250 range. This time I ran it at 300-325 (for a shorter time period). I will do it again and see. Thanks for your thoughts.

Great looking ribs Ali! I also agree with what Tony said about temps. I
usually do my babybacks at 235 and they take just about 4 hours. At the
temps you ran yours were probably overcooked, thus the dryness. Just my
two cents worth.

I don't foil and generally run BB's and spares at around 300F, dry rubbed only. I'll probe them with a toothpick after the sizzlings stop.

Ali, you didn't say how they tasted? I've gotten my ribs a bit too dark on occasion, and they tasted good!
I've sprayed my pork ribs with a mixture of apple cider and apple cider vineger, with no foiling, and they have come out good.
Try a bit lower temperature next time.
Good luck.

I would have to agree. Dry = cooked too long. I don't foil any ribs, I just don't care for the texture that it tends to give them. Try them again, no foil, just a shorter cook time, especially with baby backs since they don't have the fat nor the thickness of spares.

Very nice looking. You'll get it the way you want with the good advice here. Trust me.

I'm not an expert by no means, but I can tell you that you can't hurry good ribs. I usually cook everything around 250, except chicken, but I tend to go a little less for ribs.

Back