Corroded cook box sand blasted to unusable????

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all.......Im Back!!!!!! I am working on an old school red topper 1000 deep box 13 bar monster. This ole gal is my first grill in my comeback and is certainly not making life easy. One of my new rules for myself is to start having the boxes and end caps sand blasted. So I Just got my first set back at the cost of $30 which I was happy with but upon further inspection I see my cook box may be unusable or at least un sellable. I did a good scrape down before sending this set to the blaster so I did see the pock marks prior to dropping the parts off.....I was in denial so I dropped the parts and never looked back.
I am left with 100's of deep holes and just above the center burner passthrough got really thin and has a hairline crack. I also have 2 small holes that go all the way through. I figure I have two options...maybe three.
1. Find a donor
2. JB WELD from the outside
3. Keep it as a grill at my work place and make zero $$$$$$ :(
4. Find a donor :)

See pics tell me what u guys think.....thanks20211022_153651 (1).jpg20211022_153645.jpg20211022_153638.jpg

Wow, it looks like the cookbox had termites! I don't know how there's any saving that one. At least you only paid thirty bucks and still have good end caps.

I purchased a donor for $25 tonight and will pick up tomorrow. Its hard to face the facts but I think the grill I am working on is in fact "the donor " .....because all of the available donor's are in better shape than my resto grill

I purchased a donor for $25 tonight and will pick up tomorrow. Its hard to face the facts but I think the grill I am working on is in fact "the donor " .....because all of the available donor's are in better shape than my resto grill
Sounds a lot like my red head silver 1000B.

The lid, manifold, control panel and half the frame are the only parts I ended using from the original.

And the donor I picked up is now my resto project.

Yah, been there, done that. You did the right thing in finding a donor grill, or maybe a base grill that you can rehab and pull better parts off your original grill. I have had more than one cook box that I actually ground out with an angle grinder only to find something similar to what you have. It is disappointing, but it is what it is.

I think if you can get one grill out of two that is the easy part. The hard part is letting all of the valuable usable parts go.

Ya thats the tough part about resto'ing old school 1000's ......many of them have been cooked hard......the cook box is only capable of so many years and so many cooks before she just cant go anymore. Some of these 1000's are what....25years old? I picked up the donor grill today....of course they forgot to mention in their ad that is was nat gas but I still got plenty of good parts for my $25 spent.

Jim, yah, the older Genesis 1-5 grills are actually the same cook box as the Genesis 1000's and they go back to 1985. So, you could actually have a 35 year old grill. That being said, I have not see too many with the problems you had. Seems more often the big problem is bowing of the front and sides of the cook boxes.

I'd bet that when you see that corrosion somebody sometime probably sprayed a bunch of oven cleaner in there and never rinsed it out, just left it to get hot and eat aluminum.

Nah, it was a curb alert freebie. Not sure exactly what happened, but it had a mini Chernobyl going on in that cook box. Surprisingly, the rest of the grill looks pretty darn good.

You stole my joke! :D
I appreciate what you did with that thread recently Chris. Would you remind me and those on this thread how to contribute to the TVWBB.COM cause please? I can't remember and I gots a hankering to make a contribution. Thanks for all you do.

I appreciate what you did with that thread recently Chris. Would you remind me and those on this thread how to contribute to the TVWBB.COM cause please? I can't remember and I gots a hankering to make a contribution. Thanks for all you do.
Thank you for asking! See this post:

Last edited:

Back