corn over low heat?

JasonHess

I'm finally branching away from the simple burgers/brats/chicken/chops grilling, and attempting ribs for the first time. I'll be using my in-laws Genesis. I'll have the one burner on low while letting the ribs cook on the other side. I'm thinking about also throwing the corn-on-the-cob in there over the low burner. My questions are, do you think this is a good idea? How long do you think they will take to cook over the low heat? And, should I wrap them in foil if they are only going over low heat?
-thanks

if it was me, i'd cook the ribs completely first, and while the ribs rest, cook the corn uncovered on high heat rotating the corn frequently. should only take 10 minutes max. in my opinion, if you do it the way you are thinking you will obliterate the corn. but I think people generally cook corn too long anyway on the grill. . .

Agreed. I believe cooking corn on low heat will only dry it out. Matt's suggestion makes sense to me. Or you can always make cooler corn. I do that often then throw it on over direct heat to add a little char.

I'm thinking about also throwing the corn-on-the-cob in there over the low burner. My questions are, do you think this is a good idea? How long do you think they will take to cook over the low heat? And, should I wrap them in foil if they are only going over low heat? thanks
I've often done this when doing an indirect rib cook on a gasser. Corn is good BBQ'd in the husk unwrapped and wrapped. It's also good husked and both wrapped and unwrapped. I like to lay a sheet of foil down and put my husked corn on it, mopping them with butter and and garlic salt. I typically put the corn on about 45 minutes before the ribs are done

I always keep the silks and husks on but do tear away some of the outer husk, rinse them then open them up put some butter inside close them back up, wrap in foil and put on the upper shelf. They always come out sweet and tender. It boggles my mind when I see people at the market stripping away all that goodness. I usually cook them on medium to high heat for about 15 -20 minutes.

Last edited:
I've been husking mine and wrapping it in foil. I put the butter and any spices I want (usually just salt) right in the foil with the corn. Grill over direct heat for about 15-20 minutes turning 1/4 turn every 5 minutes. That's on the Kettle, but doing it over gas shouldn't be much different. It tastes a lot better than just cooking it in the microwave or steaming it.

The very best corn I have ever had was cooked over an open bed of coals. My wife's uncle was the grilled corn king. He taught me his method, which is to do absolutely nothing to the corn --- don't strip, don't husk, don't trim...resist all temptations. Just soak them in ice water for an hour or two then throw them on the grill. Just roll every few minutes until the outside husks start turning completely black. Amazingly, once the corn is cooked, the silk will slip right off, much easier than trying to clean it before cooking.

Of course, it helped that Uncle Tom's corm was picked out of southern Ohio fields about 2 hours before it went on the grill.

I've been husking mine and wrapping it in foil. I put the butter and any spices I want (usually just salt) right in the foil with the corn. Grill over direct heat for about 15-20 minutes turning 1/4 turn every 5 minutes. That's on the Kettle, but doing it over gas shouldn't be much different. It tastes a lot better than just cooking it in the microwave or steaming it.

This. I always foil mine with garlic butter,salt and pepper. 300-350 for about 20-25min. Rest for 10min. Unfoil and eat or back on the grill over direct flame to give it some color.

if it was me, i'd cook the ribs completely first, and while the ribs rest, cook the corn uncovered on high heat rotating the corn frequently. should only take 10 minutes max. in my opinion, if you do it the way you are thinking you will obliterate the corn. but I think people generally cook corn too long anyway on the grill. . .

I agree Matt on this as the corn will be dry and not worth eating

I always cook in the husks and rotate until the husks are dark brown all around. Pretty fool proof.

The only word of caution is that the corn will be hot so use protection when shucking. High heat gloves or a towel will make things easier.

Also i have recently experimented with shucking like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkSmOjvhEc

I like the really high heat method. Keep husks, etc. on and cook over the hottest part of the grill until the husks are well brown/burnt. It's even OK to let them catch fire a little bit.

When husks are sufficiently charred, pull off the grill, cover with foil to let them steam in their own heat for 10 minutes or so and then husk and enjoy. The husks protect the corn from most of the burning and you'll be left with beautifully smoky sweet corn. As stated above though, be careful when removing the husks as the cobs tend to retain tons of heat.

The finest sweet corn in the western world comes just down the road from me in the Ross, Ohio area. The best grilled corn I have eaten is shucked first. Melted butter brushed on with salt and pepper. Grill on high heat (I do over charcoal) turning as necessary for a light char.

After it is done, another light coat of melted butter. UMMMMMM-GOOD!!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I too cook in the husk. I will cut the silk to the end of the husk if I am heating them with food because the silks burn and float around and cover food....The other trick I figured out is once you peal the corn use a single paper towel and rub down the corn and all the silk will stick to it without burning your hand off...Then rub it with butter and enjoy. I had nice sweet corn with BBQ chicken and spaghetti pan seared with cajun and olive oil for dinner tonight..SO great! I love double carbing

I did some grilled corn today for lunch - didn't trim, soak, remove the silk, or anything. Just indirect on the gasser at around 375 for around 15-20 minutes. It steamed when shucked, & I ate it just like that - no butter or salt or anything. It was about as good as it gets for me. I thought about hitting it with some old bay beforehand but I got a late start so maybe next time.

I used to grill corn in the husk, but I recently switched to wrapping it in foil with some butter and salt but either way works well.

Back