cordless thermometers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I know this isnt a new topic, but searching the boards I couldnt find a definative answer. My first WSM is on the way from Amazon (i trust). In advance I want to stock up on all essentials. One of which is a good thermometer.

I would love to get a wireless one but I'm having reservations based on some feedback I've seen.

Anyone have a Maverick or a Weber? what are the dissadvantages?

One that I read was that the maverick will not register a temp above 199degrees on the display. is this true? For the 2 probe version, I would want one probe to read the temp at the grate, while the other is reading the temp of my meat. If the temp wont register above 199 then it's pretty useless for measuring the smoker grate temperature.

Should I KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) this topic and just go with an inexpensive meat thermometer thru a cork in the top vent. Or should I "Over Kill" my temp. management with a cordless.

Also, not seen much feedback on the Weber wireless unit. Any experience out there?

Steve,
I have the Weber and while I like it, it also doesnt go over 199F so cant be used for a grate probe. Another drawback is that the temps for the meat are preproggramed and they have pork locked into 170F so I have to turn the alarm off adn then keep an eye on it. I understand that this is the first model that Weber has put out so hopefully the next version will be a little better. That being said I use a Taylor thru a vent whole adn the Weber transmitter as the meat probe and it works out pretty good.
Hope this helped

Arthur

I've had the Maverick ET-73 for about a year
now and it's the best BBQ tool I've ever bought.
Never had one single problem with it. Not sure
what the max temp is but I've never gone over it.
Definitely goes over 350 degrees (pit temp). I got mine from http://www.thegadgetsource.com/
@ 39.99. Many people on this board did the same. Buy it with confidence.

I also have an ET-73, use it every time I fire up my WSM. I have had no problems with mine and would recommend it to all who BBQ or cook!

I also agree that the ET-73 is a great tool. I have had zero problems with mine. It definitely reads over 199.

They did get a bad batch from the manufacturer that weren't transmitting correctly. As far as I know they have replaced or are replacing any that fail.

Haven't used the Weber

Got a Maverick ET-73 for Father's Day and, like everyone else who has one, can also attest to it's ability to read over 200 degrees. I calibrated both probes in boiling water and got 214 on both. I'll take +/- 1% any day, especially given the 8 degree difference of my BBQ fork. :p

Looking forward to using it this weekend for a pork rib fest.

WOW...didnt expect such quick responses.

Thanks everyone!!!

Looking forward to a growing relationship with my WSM and this community.

That being said, I checked into the gadget website and found an interesting new (at least to me) wireless thermometer designed for smokers.

It's made by RediCheck and monitors meat temp and grate temp. Even has a clip to attach the probe to the grate. Even has back lit display for night smokes. Looks like just what I need. Anyone have any insight on this one?

Here's the site: http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html

Thanks everyone!

Oops...looks like it's the ET-73 afterall.

When I originally posted I was thinking about the ET-72 (which I believe has only one probe). As a result I thought you were all reviewing the ET-72 for me...my mistake

Sounds like the ET-73 is the answer...I'm pulling the trigger on this one...sorry for the needless followup post.

The only problem I am having with my new et-73 is the range of the receiver. There's no way it's good for 100 feet as advertised. Anything more than a window between the transmitter and the receiver and I lost the signal. That said, it was still better to take a look at the pit temp and still be inside rather than having to go outside to check the temp.

Once I've gained some trust in this unit, I'll just rely on the alarm.

I saw no mention of mine - a Polder. It goes high, you canprogram it to alarm at any temp you want, and it transmitted yesterday from my back deck to my home office, about 40 feet and various walls away. The only caution is the make sure the probe wire doesn't touch a hot grill or it will fry. I just dangle it through the upper vent and it worked fine.

Michael

According to the documentation that came with the et-73, the maximum food temperature range is up to 392 degrees F (well beyond a good pull). The smoker range is up to 410 degrees F. A bit above where I like to BBQ dead flesh.

You did read the documentation, right? /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Chet

What does an ET-73 sell for?

It depends. At thegadgetsource.com, it lists for $39.99. The shipping is extra. In my case, UPS second day air was about $13.00.

Grand total of 52.92.

YMMV

Chet

I'm also interested in the ET-73 but was wondering if it can stand a little rain, being electronic and all. I have a heavy duty dial thermometer that has been faithful in heavy rain, but the catch is I still have to get in the rain to check it.

Anyone have any experience with the ET-73 with the elements?

Poke a small hole in the bottom of a ziplock bag and run the probe and wire through it, leave the unit inside the bag, reconnect the wire to the unit, then zip the bag. Helps tremendously.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

My, how you've changed, Keri. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

David, here are 2 threads that address the ET-73 in the rain: Read Tom Raveret and Randy Parr. I'm not an advocate of leaving electronics exposed to the elements but the ET-73 apparently can handle it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I have an ET-73 and it works - but don't expect it to go through more than 1 wall. Mine barely goes through the wall but what can I expect for $40.

I've been putting together my own temp monitoring system - I have a usb card w/ 8 input channels that I can connect thermocouples, thermistors, or RTDs to. I've programed it to convert the inputs to temperature and sound an alarm if it goes out of range. I'm now working on using the temperatures to close the loop by adjusting the vents on the bottom of the smoker - but hey I'm a nerd...

All you need to do is to write some scripts to present the data onto a web page and you're golden.

Maybe you could publish a schematic when you're done? I could check the status of my smoke from the office.

Chet

One sick puppy

Maverick cost: I was with the wife last night at Linens 'N Things and they had them on the rack for $39.99.

JP: I'm doing my first cook right now and have been constantly thinking of pulling therm reads into the PC for trending, alarming and display. Don't have the skills for vent actuators, but that would be one terrific package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back