Coolest thing I've ever smoked

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
I put together a little club to share in my appreciation of cooking and great food. One of the members is a local chef and he agreed to host our first meeting. Prior to the meeting, I talked him into letting me come down early and smoking one of the two pig heads he was going to serve.

the head was pretty massive
IMG_6251.JPG

hair removal
IMG_6255.JPG

we couldn't even get the lid down on it and had to drop her down on the second grate
IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

IMG_6305.JPG

it was the Sunday of St Pat's weekend and the restaurant was on a street, one block over from the city's parade, and right next to an Irish bar. Our little chairs tried to valiantly protect the precious head.

IMG_6307.JPG

Pig head has some of the most delicious meat on it and combined with pecan, the results were spectacular

I saw the head on FB and wondered what you were doing. I still do, actually. How does one serve pig head? What's the meat like?

Nice, no plated photos? I've cooked heads before in water, but never smoked one.

I wonder what would have happened if a passer-by decided to take a sneak peek in the WSM..

The meat is very tender, especially the parts from up between the eyes and snout. There is a Mexican store where they used to sell whole heads when I was a kid. They deep fried them though. It was fascinating just looking at them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">What's the meat like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tastes like chicken
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll pass on this one JB
icon_rolleyes.gif

sorry no plated pics. one head was oven roasted and became part of tacos. The smoked one was pulled apart and served like butt.

It ends up like pulled pork except it has a deeper flavor and the fat is more unctuous and has an almost stickiness to it (lip smacking). It's mostly jowl meat, which some of us might be familiar with. But the jaw meat, high up at the top of the jaw bone was very dark and slick like the oyster in the back of a turkey.

Our mutual friend, Tom M, was trying to get me to come but I had a commitment that afternoon. Glad things went well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Awesome, J! I don't have a problem with eating that, especially if you cooked it... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Likewise. We trust you.
icon_biggrin.gif

thanks everybody, but I was really just riding the chef's coat tails. He did all of the prep work (which was surprisingly considerable) getting the thing ready to cook. I just fired up the wsm and kept the pecan chugging until lunch time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our mutual friend, Tom M, was trying to get me to come but I had a commitment that afternoon. Glad things went well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jason, stay tuned, this club is just getting started and can only get better

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> That looks Very GOOD! It is on the list. Did anyone going in the bar ask "What ya cookin'?"

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

yup, it was a pretty cool scene

Excellent! No trouble looking at that beauty and bet the meat was great. Wish I was there. Would really be interested in anything specific done for the prep. Would you brine these?

Very cool cook. I would love some. Also interested in the prep.

Bob and Mike, I bet you don't eat fish with the head on either.

Back