Cook's Country Classic Barbecued Chicken

Well, tonight I did the Cook's Country Classic Chicken, again (and again).

This time I added several ABT's (whoever invented those should have won the Nobel Prize). My lovely wife added hash browns and corn with sweet peppers.

Food for kings!

I just keeps getting better and better!

Dale53

Chris;
I typically do drumsticks and thighs. I alternate between barbecue sauce (my pick is Sweet Baby Ray's) or Larry Wolfe's Marmalade Sirachi Sauce. Both of them are only WONDERFUL!

Man, I LOVE chicken prepared this way!

Onward and upward with charcoal...

Dale53

The links provided only work for members. I appreciate that you may enjoy a recipe but if it can't be shared you're really just saying "I made great chicken. Wanna buy the recipe?" That may be harsh but it's my opionion. This also just seems to be roasted and grilled chicken with layered bbq sauce. Perhaps I'm missing it but give me a simple roadside chicken everyday.

The links don't work other than a quick explanation of proper offset, grill finished chicken techniques. From what I gather, the sauce is just an add to a jar sauce. Maybe I'm missing something? Still a huge fan of roadside chicken with Carolina Red on the side.

James, I found a link to the recipe for the GAS GRILL VERSION. I tried it on my gas grill, without sauce, and was quite pleased with the results. Comparable to my oven-roasted chicken. It's nice to have something plain, for the pure chicken flavor, once in a while, and to avoid heating up the kitchen with the oven.

Rita

James Harvey;
In my original post (1st page) I offered to send a copy of the recipe to anyone who wrote me direct - no cost, no obligation (I am selling nothing).

Several of the forum members here have written me and received a copy by return mail.

My opinion of this recipe still stands - best ever!

Dale53

Dale, I made the chicken again last night, this time saucing it at the end over direct heat. I rarely sauce chicken, generally relying on a rub for flavor. I have to say that it was wonderful.

For years, when I cooked indirect on my gas grill, I would set the 2 outer burners to the proper heat and turn the center burner off, but this method, with the primary burner on high and the other 2 off provides a little additional space on the grill for the chicken and sweet potatoes, and the results were great.

I usually brine or dry-brine my chicken and had to do a wet brine (added garlic) in the last minute. I dried the chicken as best I could with paper towels and didn't even put a rub on them. It went immediately onto the grill and I sauced it near the end over direct heat. Super results, and the skin was not rubbery...how easy can BBQ Chicken get? Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

By the way, Amazon has the book for $11.98.

Rita

Robert,
I'm pretty sure that this is the same recipe.
It apparently was on one of their PBS shows, and is shared all over the place. .

Hopefully members will link to it here, and not get their shorts in a knot
icon_smile.gif

I'll have to give it a try, thanks for sharing!

Rita Y;
Glad to hear the recipe is working for you. I had some a couple of days ago (then followed up with some for lunch the next day). It was wonderful initially but was just as good the next day when heated up with the toaster oven. This time it was with Larry Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Sauce...

I do it pretty much exactly as Cook's directed. I like their simple rub (salt, pepper, and cayenne) but really enjoy the layers of flavor from saucing several times at the end of the cook (giving five minutes between saucing). I try for three layers of sauce.

I BELIEVE in brining before I pat dry and apply the rub (just before grilling). I brine an hour or less, typically.

Dale

Bob Correll;
Yep, that look's like the same one. I am a fan of Cook's Country TV shows (American Test Kitchen, etc.) but didn't catch this one when it originally came around.

I got it from their Grilling book. I have made this my "Signature" Dish it is so darn good. I have been sharing it with everyone who is interested.

Dale53

Thanks Robert,
One thing I'm not understanding. They talk about slowly cooking the chicken indirectly, but say to start with a full chimney of hot coals spread over half the grate. A full chimney gives me over 500*, so how slowly is the chicken going to cook even on the cooler side for half an hour? Fill me in if I am missing a step or not thinking about this clearly.

I use a full chimney of hot coals in my Weber OTG. I put the coals on one side, only. I put an aluminum pan, a throw-away, in one side. The pan catches the rendering fat from the chicken preventing flare ups and helps to keep the hot coals where they are supposed to be.

The pictures I sent you show the set up. After the grill is hot, I clean the grill and wipe it with a clean paper towel soaked in Canola oil.

I lay out the chicken pieces away from the hot coals, and don't even look at it for 30 minutes. Then just follow the directions.

I do NOT get 500 degrees on the cool side (measured with a probe AT THE GRILL level). If you are measuring temperature at the top of the lid, you aren't getting the real temperature.

Dale53

Thanks for posting this Robert. I was looking for a a relatively easy chicken recipe to break in my new Performer, this worked out great. I burned the skin trying to crisp it up, but other than that my family loved it.

I took the recipe to North Carolina and made it for my son and family. My daughter-in-law looks like a model but ate so much she nearly foundered. She labeled it the best chicken she had ever eaten (this was with Larry Wolfe's Orange Marmalade Siracha Sauce). My son is an accomplished griller and took notes!

We then went to SLC, UT and visited my Daughter and her family. My son-in-law had just taken delivery of a new OTG. They have a nice covered patio, so even tho' there was 5" of snow on the ground we grilled the whole week. I introduced them to the chicken (big hit) and also did a fatty for them. It's now part of their permanent recipe file.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we grilled a whole turkey. It was less than it should be. We learned a bit from it and will not make the same mistakes again. It was slightly underdone with too much smoke flavor. After a bit of further attention in the kitchen it turned out quite good.

Spread the word - grilling is the BEST!

Dale53

Back