Cooking with wood

Bryan Pettiford

Has anyone ever cooked with wood? I mean not using any charcoal? I'm thinking of using my chimney starter to burn some cherry chunks that I have. I'f there is anyone out there that has done this I would appreciate some advice on how to pull this cook off.

Thanks,

Bryan
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've used wood a few times in the WSM. Basically when I WANT to play with a fire.

One thing that really helped is to order an extra door from Weber. Drill a dozen or so 1/2 inch holes in the door to increase airflow.

Start with a bit of lump and add smaller wood pieces as needed. Crack the lid off center to allow more airflow in and out.

I did not take the time to pre-burn down to coals, but did generally get good results (chicken w/ nice crispy skin) although a bit oversmoked once or twice. you need good dry wood so it'll catch quickly.
Also how you handle dripping grease is more important when using wood (the flame height is a consideration). Maybe drip pan w/ sand would be in order. I just used an empty drip pan.

Due to the over smoking and fire maintenance, I'd just use more lump let a chunk or two of wood flame up to provide a bit of smoke for future chicken cooking in the WSM. I've also got an offset cooker for the same purpose.

Something different to try... good luck.

Back