Cooking with maple sugar

Mark Orth

TVWBB Member
I usually use maple syrup in my glaze as I think it's some of the best stuff in the world. To that end, I got some maple sugar from VT and am thinking of using it my rub. I was even thinking of subbing some for the white sugar in my german potato salad the other night. I don't want it to overpower though. I'm guessing NOT a 1 to 1 swap with white sugar. If not what kind of ratio should I try? Thanks.

Found this for you as a starting point:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Having babbled enough now, here are the general substitution rules for sweeteners, but remember, most people consider these emergency substitutions, not daily rules to live by:

In spite of their difference in weight, you can substitute brown sugar for granulated white on a 1 to 1 basis, and the most significant difference will be taste.
Substitute white sugar for brown sugar on a 1 to 1 basis, but add 4 tablespoons of molasses per cup, and decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.
To use honey in place of sugar, use 7/8 cup for every cup of sugar, and reduce the liquid in the recipe by 3 tablespoons.
To use sugar in place of honey, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid.
To use maple syrup in place of sugar in cooking, use 3/4 cup for every 1 cup of sugar.
To use maple syrup in place of a cup of sugar in baking, use 3/4 cup, but decrease the total amount of liquid in the recipe by about 3 tablespoons for each cup of syrup you use.

To use sugar in place of a cup of maple syrup, use 1-1/4 cups of sugar plus 1/4 cup more liquid. just use the inverse to substitute maple syrup for sugar

Finally, granulated sugar has 46 calories per tablespoon, brown sugar has 50, maple syrup has 53, and honey tops them all with 64. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ochef.com/91.htm

Living in New England, I use maple sugar in my rubs all the time. Usually I use it in combination with turbinado, brown or both.

Despite it being very concentrated syrup, I've never found the flavor of maple sugar to be over powering. In fact, I find the flavor to be milder than syrup. I'd be interested to know what you think of it in a rub, because I suspect it's flavors will be lost in any mix

Good to know that it's not overpowering. I have trouble believing that you wouldn't taste any maple if I did a one to one substitution for the regular sugar I usually use.

I tried some in a batch of breakfast sausage that I wanted to be maple. flavored. I used much more maple sugar than I would have used reg sugar and I didn't get much flavor. Ymmv

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I tried some in a batch of breakfast sausage that I wanted to be maple. flavored. I used much more maple sugar than I would have used reg sugar and I didn't get much flavor. Ymmv </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

10-4. Thanks!

I have also found that the flavour is lost when using for bbq or grilling.

Personally I say save the sugar for desserts or something more subtle where you can detect the maple flavour.

Back