cooking spare ribs tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S74

TVWBB Member
This will be my first attempt at spares, am I looking at the same 6 hours cooking time or is it a little more since they are more meatier?

thanks

Hi Paul,

Spares cooked at a dome temperature of 240-250 degF require about 8 hours or maybe a little longer. Baby backs only require 5-6 hours.

Good Luck!

-mc

Hi Paul!

I agree with Mike.

For future cooks, you should start checking your racks of ribs for weight.

My formula......2 1/4 - 2 1/2 lb. slabs will take 6 hours at a grate temp of 225?. Anything above these weights and you are looking at more time.

Many folks cook the large inexpensive spares at the super stores. After trimming to St. Louis style, they can be over 3 lbs. and much thicker than baby backs or smaller spares. If this is the case, then 7-8 hrs. is more likely needed.

I have learned and traveled enough to realize that ribs come in so many different weights and shapes. In this part of the world, I have never, ever seen a slab of baby backs that weigh in under 2 lbs. However, many folks on this board cook slabs that weigh around 1 1/2lbs. Well, my formula will overcook them.

This is why it is so hard to "generalize" when it comes to cooking ribs.

So, start taking notes and recording your weights, cooking temps and finishing times.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Paul,

Stogie hit the nail on the head. No two rib racks are the same and their cook times vary based upon temperature, temperature fluctuations, weight, type, cut, etc.

My BB rib cooks usually end around 6 hours because I always try and select ribs in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 lb range. However, spares are a little different for me. I have had some take 9 hours and other take 8 hours. I always cut my spares down to St. Louis. I'm sure this is due to the weight and maybe fat content, but I'm not sure about the latter.

This is what gets me excited about BBQ. It's differnt every time. If it were an exact science, it wouldn't be as fun.

-mc

The spares came out perfect!! They cooked for about 5 1/2 hours and were falling off the bone.

God I love my WSM!!!

I get 2 to 2 1/2 pound BB done in aprox 4 hours and 4 and down spares done in aprox 6 hours on a regular basis. My pit temps run 225 to 250?.
Jim

Paul,

I just did spare ribs yesterday and they took me about 6 hours. I am pretty sure they were in the 2-3 pound range and they came out perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back