Cooking right now. Heat control

JimmyGNY

Hi all,

Doing an inaugural cook today. Got a half rack of ribs going for a few hours and then I’m adding a chicken for the last two or so. Probably dumb to cook such different things for my first time, but I wanted to experience as much as possible.

I‘ve got fifty pieces of charcoal that I lit Minion style with another ten. The coals are over two hunks of apple wood. I’m using a full water pan with about forty ounces of hot water (I only know that bc of the bottle I used to fill).

i currently have two bottom vents fully closed and one open 1/8-1/4. The top vent is closed about a third. I was surprised when the temp jumped from an even 245 up to 275. That’s when I closed, against all the advice I’d read, the top vent a little. Temp is currently dropping and I’m now reading 262.

How neurotic should I be with temp control? Am I being fussy?

Here‘s some pics cause I’m excited for today.2C756B8F-E6EA-4447-9449-DEC43731A107.jpeg7A1903A7-036C-4A9E-927E-433CB2F343D9.jpeg16F4C293-BD3F-46B6-AF5A-92573D44474E.jpegAFBC1C2A-FE00-4EEB-85F5-D5AB0CD2D9E4.jpegF0A5C169-7B8A-4262-A84A-C27156C6F7E9.jpeg

I did ribs on Monday. It cruised around 235* for most of the cook. During the last hour, I opened the vents a little more to bring the temp up. Got over 320* by accident. Ribs were great. Variation is normal. For me if it’s running anywhere between 215-275, I’m happy.

Update- coals puttered out after four hours. Adding more wasn’t raising the temp. I finally pulled off the drum and got the smoldering goals going again in the chimney with side burner flame from the grill. The ribs looked great when I sauced and foiled them. The chicken is at 135 and the smoker is now at 260. I think dinner will be ready on time tonight.

The saddest part of all of this is my wife, who has cooked three dinners on 20 years, is not at all excited. Glad there are folks out there who might be mildly interested in my first smoke.

Glad to hear everything worked out. It was a good learning experience.
Did you say your wife has only cooked 3 dinners in 20 years?
Anyway, we’re happy for you. Now, what are you cooking next?

Don't be too neurotic with the temp's and you will do just fine. One thing I found out early on, you can raise the temps a lot faster than you can lower them. I also make sure that I put more than enough coals in the beginning because I really don't like messing with adding them later.
My wife probably cooks 10 times as much as yours does, so about 30 times in 20 years. That's okay with me, I love to cook. Glad the ribs came out good.

Jim,
I am still learning on my 14 WSM also, but here is what I have learned so far, start with a full basket of charcoal, use minion method 12 to 15 of KBB and then let in settle in. When you are done cooking shout down all vents and reuse the use spent charcoal on other smaller cooks, I just keep reusing the last bit of charcoal on the next cook. Temps, don't stress to much whatever you target goal is give yourself about at least a 25 degree window both above and below before you even worry. Chasing temps call ruin the experience of the cook but has yet to ruin my food once.Only change one thing at a time and and give it at least 15 minutes to see what that does. Last learn how and where your WSM likes to settle it. I know mine with a full basket of KBB, minion method with 12 to 15 briquettes, boiling water, and all vents open mine will settle in at 250 and stay there for over five hours. I know that is lower then others experience, but following that has worked really well for me. I know if I want it hotter I need to change something. Last, take pictures and post them here! Last have fun!

It's easy for a certain type 😁 to obsess over temperatures, especially if when using a remote temp sensor with hi/lo alarms, etc. It can keep one up at night during those long cooks running out to fiddle with daisy wheels. However, great BBQ is made within a wide range range of temperature. The WSM holds temp pretty well with no auxiliary aids. Knowing when to take the Q off the fire is probably as important, if not more so, than the cooking temp.

Disclaimer: I use an ATC.

It's easy for a certain type 😁 to obsess over temperatures, especially if when using a remote temp sensor with hi/lo alarms, etc. It can keep one up at night during those long cooks running out to fiddle with daisy wheels. However, great BBQ is made within a wide range range of temperature. The WSM holds temp pretty well with no auxiliary aids. Knowing when to take the Q off the fire is probably as important, if not more so, than the cooking temp.

Disclaimer: I use an ATC.
Brad,
I love your statement, "Knowing when to take the Q off the fire is probably as important, if not more so, than the cooking temp." It really makes me fully understand the statement it's done when it's done. When temps go one way or another adjusting the times of my cook is a better use of my energy then chasing temps.

Back