Cooking ribs and butt for 25

Eric Koenig

TVWBB Fan
I'm looking to cook butt and BB ribs for about 25 people, serving time around 3-4pm. I was planning on 2 7# butt overnight (put on the WSM around 9pm), then put on three racks of BB on when I'm about 5-6 hours ready to serve. I'll try to generally time it so that the butt will be ready a couple of hours before I'm ready to serve, and throw it in a cooler while the BB finish.

I've done several smokes with butt and with ribs, but never tried cooking them together or this much meat at one time.

First, does this sound like enough meat?
Second, is this a feasible plan?

last weekend I did 2 racks of baby backs for 6 of us (adults) and added 10 chicken breasts (for the 6 adults + 5 kids). The ribs were gone, literally in minutes. Granted I didn't do the butts, but I would still think that with 25 people you probably won't have enough.

My .02

If you're doing sandwiches with the butt and sides then that's enough butt--you'll get 25-33 servings or so.

The backs I wouldn't bother with, frankly. 3 racks isn't much and will read as insufficient to your guests--very much so. I'd either skip the backs and add another butt so that the meat amount is generous, or cook 8 racks of backs (at least), or switch to spares and cook 6 (or 7) of those. (I'd go with choice 1 or 3 but I am decidedly not a back fan.)

The timing of your cook will depend on your planned cook temp. If you're planning low (like 225-235) I'd start earlier than that--but butts do not need--nor do they benefit from--temps that low. If you decide to up the back quantity or do spares then I'd recommend doing them before the butts (see this suggestion and the follow-up below it) as it will give you space, time, and make for a less stressful cook. The ribs can be reheated/finished in the WSM during the end of the butts' rest period and while pulling.

Have a great cook and welcome to the board.

Back