Cooking on gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren Gaylor

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if I'm the only one out there that uses a gas grill.

For speed and convenience, my grill is hard to beat. It's mostly used for burgers, dogs, boneless breasts and such. I've even tried ribs and butts on it. Good, but nowhere near as good as the kettle or WSM.

For nice steaks and chops, I'll fire up the kettle. For low and slow, the WSM. For "everyday" grilling, however, it's my Platinum II.

(I guess I'm trying to convince myself I don't really need a Performer.)

Darren

8 years ago, I wrote 2 letters to the company, from which I bought a gasp grill, complaining about all the parts I had to continously replace, due to shoddy workmanship. They very cordially sent me a full refund check for the grill and all the parts which I had purchased. Now it sits in my cellar, covered, minus the propane tank, of course. Good as new(sic). If you would like to be the proud owner, feel free to stop by.
All new parts! Free.

I LOVE my Weber gas grill. Nothing easier than throwing some boneless breasts or burgers, etc. on that bad boy, especially during the week when time is an issue.

Very convenient to keep a nice steady temp, too when I don't fell like messing with charcoal.

I can honestly say I get good usage out of my Weber gas, kettle and WSM.

Ken

I've owned my Weber Genesis gas grill for 11 years this April and it's still going strong. I've replaced the cooking grates a couple of times and the flavorizer bars once, and I refinished the wooden work tables. Otherwise, all other parts are original.

I use it primarily for burgers and steaks. Wouldn't be without it...hoping for a Weber Summit someday. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Regards,
Chris

I like my gas grill (not a weber yet, hopefully my next purchase) anyway, great for quick uses, and my family loves the turkey I do on the gas grill. Have not tried on the WSM yet, I like the skin to much to just throw it out. But thats another post.

Hello everyone,

My vote is with Joe and Jim. I am 100% charcoal. I prefer lump for grilling. The high temps you get with lump make for some awesome food, especially chicken and fish. I just don't think the gas grills get hot enough to sear the food as well as a big kettle full of lump hardwood. IMHO, of course.

Now I've had some great food on gas grills, but personally, I'll take the kettle myself.

As a matter of convenience, I can have my grill ready to cook on in 25 minutes, using a charcoal chimney. I'll trade those 10 minutes saved for the difference in taste. Plus, I never have to worry about running out of gas in mid-cook.

But, I also must make full disclosure: I've never had a weber gas grill. But I have had 4 other brands.

Just my opinion.

My wife will not light off charcoal but she will use the Weber gas grill, (I like it when others cook), short cook there is very little difference between the two, but the key is the short cook and using chips or pellets for a little smoke IMHO.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back