Cooking Method for Whole Turkey

Kevin Witt

I am smoking my first turkey today. On the this site it suggests using the "standard method" for the cook by lighting two chimney starters full of briquets.

Problem for me is that I only own one. Has anyone tried a method doing half standard method and half minion method? In other words, load a chimney starter amount of charcoal in the base of the smoker and then piling a fully lit load on top of that.

Or maybe I should just light one chimney and dump it in there with the vents on low and then light another one and pour it in after waiting? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Witt:
I am smoking my first turkey today. On the this site it suggests using the "standard method" for the cook by lighting two chimney starters full of briquets.

Problem for me is that I only own one. Has anyone tried a method doing half standard method and half minion method? In other words, load a chimney starter amount of charcoal in the base of the smoker and then piling a fully lit load on top of that.

Or maybe I should just light one chimney and dump it in there with the vents on low and then light another one and pour it in after waiting? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like to cook my turkeys low and slow, which is different than most do but I am very happy with the results. I cook in the 245º-260º range until the breast hits between 160º-165º and the thigh is close to 175º. Let rest tented with foil for about an hour and cool before slicing.

To better answer your question, Yes you can cook a turkey using only 1 chimney. If you decide to go with the high heat cook, leave the WSM unassembled for about 10 minutes after you dump the lit coals to give the others time to light.

Since it is your first turkey, what kind of smokewood are you using, and how much? For turkey and other poultry I usually use only about half of what I would use on other meats. You will do fine with 1 lit chimney and adding unlit to it. Just give it a little time to get started. Good luck.

I only have hickory and I tend to be conservative anyway when applying smoke wood. I think it can overpower the meat sometimes. Maybe I won't use any.
icon_eek.gif

I have a question about the brining process. I was totally unprepared for how large of a container I would need to dip this bird in so I ended up using the bucket in the garage for washing the car. I used it for pouring grub control last week.

I read where I could use something like this if I used a liner like a Reynolds cooking bag. So I got the bucket, washed it with hot water and soap and then lined it with the cooking bag and poured two gallons of the brine in there. It sat overnight and I just pulled the turkey out. There was a really small hold in the bottom of the bag and a little bit (maybe a cup?) was left on the bottom of the bucket when I pulled out the bag.

Is this turkey safe to cook? Seems to me that it would be fine but I am just playing it safe. Anyone else brine a turkey in a bucket like this and have a similar experience?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Witt:
Thanks Larry. How long does your turkey cook for at that temperature? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An average 14-15 turkey will take around 4.5-5 hrs at my temps.

I have a question about the brining process. I was totally unprepared for how large of a container I would need to dip this bird in so I ended up using the bucket in the garage for washing the car. I used it for pouring grub control last week.

I read where I could use something like this if I used a liner like a Reynolds cooking bag. So I got the bucket, washed it with hot water and soap and then lined it with the cooking bag and poured two gallons of the brine in there. It sat overnight and I just pulled the turkey out. There was a really small hold in the bottom of the bag and a little bit (maybe a cup?) was left on the bottom of the bucket when I pulled out the bag.

Is this turkey safe to cook? Seems to me that it would be fine but I am just playing it safe. Anyone else brine a turkey in a bucket like this and have a similar experience? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since you cleaned it and used the liner, I personally would cook it without any worries. Just rinse the turkey in cold water.....

Visit your local grocery store and go to the deli or bakery, they will give you the food safe buckets that cake frosting or other food items came in and they have a variety of bucket sizes.

I use hickory 90% of the time with turkeys, and use 3-4 medium size chunks. I'll use apple the other times.

Good luck on your turkey and using the low and slow method will be even better since you brined!!

Thanks again Larry. I agree with you. Any exposure to the lining of the bucket was minimal and I did wash it too.

I am going to fire up the grill now. Having family over tonight and I don't think they have ever had a smoked turkey like this. Come to think of it, neither have I.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again Larry. I agree with you. Any exposure to the lining of the bucket was minimal and I did wash it too.

I am going to fire up the grill now. Having family over tonight and I don't think they have ever had a smoked turkey like this. Come to think of it, neither have I.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How'd the bird turn out Kevin??? Inquiring minds would like to know!
icon_biggrin.gif

The turkey was fantastic. My sister-n-law even liked it and she thinks that turkey is too dry. The meat was moist and full of flavor.

Overall, it couldn't have gone better. Can't say the same about my first tries with ribs, pork butt, and even chicken. Maybe I am getting the hang of this smoker thing.

Thanks again Larry.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this turkey safe to cook? Seems to me that it would be fine but I am just playing it safe. Anyone else brine a turkey in a bucket like this and have a similar experience? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, as you already know it was safe to cook.

What I did last Thanksgiving was throw my 12 lb. bird in a trash bag and then in a cooler and let it sit outside over night. I`m in NY so the temperature outside was in the 40s.

The trash bag was unscented... very important
icon_biggrin.gif

My only mistake was I used too much apple juice. The turkey was good but it tasted like a hickory smoked apple! Not bad if you like apple...

Peace,
EB

Glad to hear the turkey came out great for you. You can pick up a clean bucket from Lowe's, Home Depot, Tru Value, etc for a few bucks and use that as your brine bucket. To save on making a huge amount of brine place in a bag as you did and place into bucket. Then fill the bucket up with water and that keeps the brine inside the bag up against what you are brining. So 1 gal of brine in a clean bag along with a turkey, or.... and some water in the bucket, problem solved.
icon_wink.gif

Back