Cooking Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Dowd

I'm in the market for a good quality set of Chef's knives. I've looked at Henckels and Wusthoff but these are a bit more than I wanted to spend. Calphalon has a set of knives that are more in line with what I'm looking to spend. Has anyone used Calphalon knives? Are they any good or should I just bite the bullet and go for the Henckels?

Forschner! Forschner! Forschner! Forschner! (Made by Victorinox, the Swiss Army Knife folks)

They're Cooks Illustrated's favorites, ranking right up there with Henckels 4-Star and Wusthof-Trident Grand Prix. My favorites, too. A 10-inch chef's knife can be had for about $24 (Fibrox handle, model 40520) They are stamped rather than forged, but have really impressed a lot of people. THE outstanding knives in their price range. I like them better than my forged ones, actually...

I've bought quite a few for myself, and have given a number of them as gifts. Best prices and variety I've found are at Cutlery and More, at http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/cat.asp?brand=6&line=18 Excellent service.

Keri C, always with an opinion
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Bill,

Forschner, Forschner, Forschner, Forschner, boy I couldn't have said that better myself. I bought the 10" Chefs Knife and the 12" Cimeter from www.discountknives.com excellent price, great turnaround on shipping, and EXCELLENT knives. Why spend the extra money?

Hi Bill and welcome!!

I will make this 3 for 3! Forschner!!

Buy them at the link Bruce gave.

I researched knives 2 years ago(including trips to the local butchers shops) and came up with Forschner and then researched prices and came up with Discount Knives.

I only need 2 knives around the kitchen......a flexible boning one for trimming any and all kinds of meat and the Chef's 8". I also have a slicer but find I use it very little....small, young family so not into large cuts of sliced meat.

Hi Bill, I will put my two cents in about knives. The very best knives for maintaining and getting a sharp edge are carbon knives, alas, they are easy to rust and high maintainence. High carbon stainless steel, takes care of the rusting and the edge is not as good but acceptable. All the knives mentioned in this thread are high carbon stainless steel. Having it forged from one piece adds durablity, the steel should be the length of the knife with solid rivets to hold it in place. Some rivets you cant see because the handle appears solid. As far as which knife...once you have a well made knife as all of these knives are...what makes it the knife for you is how it balances in your hand, how the grip feels with your hand wrapped around it and your preference on style if any. Some grips are made for men, and women's hands are too small to feel comfortable, some knives are heavier than others and it is totally subjective as to whether this is a good or a bad thing for you.
Try going to a store that carries several brands, try them all out...trust me when you hold the knife that fits you, you'll know. After finding out which knife is right for you, go online and get your best price.
A knife that fits you properly will cut your work in half because you'll make your cuts quickly and effortlessly. A chef's knive (again size is determined by you), a boning knife and a paring knife are usually all anyone needs.
I hope this helps...

I agree with Randy - it really helps to try them out to see how they feel in your hand. We have a set of Henckels forged knives in the kitchen - these are "ours". But I also have a bunch of Forschner knives - these are "mine", reserved for my smoking & grilling activities.

I'd add a slicer - granton edge, preferably - to the core set you need. Makes slicing brisket easier.

I've tried cooking knives several times; I can never get them tender enough. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

What method do all of you use to sharpen these knives? Do you have an electric sharpener, and if so, what type?

Jeff

I use a Norton oilstone, but it takes a lot of practice to get a consistent angle. The Spyderco Sharpmaker is really easy to use and gives good results.

Thanks to all for your helpful advice. I'm going to try a few brands out. Hopefully, if the Forschner knives feel right, I'll be taking a few home!

Forshner Forshner Forshner!!!???

Is that kinda like Libby's Libby's Libby's on the label label label?

I have a couple of Forschner Forshner Forshner knives and I like them a lot. I have a scimitar and at granton edge slicer for briskets. My wife had some nice Wustof Trident forged knives from before we were married. They're nice, too.

But I gotta agree, for the money, Forshner Forshner Forshner!!!

Hay jefft.
I've had a diamond Lansky sharpining system for many years I use it for all my knives. From fillet to my 8"Forschner Chefs don't know what I'd do without it. Takes the guess work out of maintaining the proper angle. Also a good steel is a must.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sonny Jordan:
[qb] I like Global knives. A chef friend of mine recommended them to me. All metal, but cuts really well.

SonnyJ [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I want to get some of those, too. I have never used them, but in the store I like the feel of them. Light. Nice to handle. Anthony Bourdain of Cook's Tour/Kicten Confidential likes those knives. He talked about them in one of his books.

Great board guys, you all have super information.
I had to bump this for a question.

What do any of you think about the balance of a
Forschner stamped Chef's knife? Is this a good all purpose cooking knife or were your comments more specifically directed towards using these knives for cutting meat etc...

I need a good Chef's knife, don't have a really good knife store in the area where I can look at a Forschner and wonder if I would be satisfied with it.

Opinions? Thanks!

Jason, I use my Forschners for everything. I have two paring knives, an 8-inch chef, a 10-inch chef, and 3 boning knives. I tend to grab the 8 or 10-inch chef for most any job in the kitchen. Excellent balance and grip - Cooks Illustrated commented on this in their testing that I mentioned earlier in this thread. I actually got the boning knives on Ebay a few years ago - 3 in a blister pkg for $15.

Is there a restaurant supply store in your area? They probably have them, although probably at a higher price than you can buy them online. Sometimes it's nice to cultivate a relationship with a restaurant supply store, though - my favorite one lets me know when they're going to be running a sale on something that might be useful for my outdoor cooking addictions. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

You won't be disappointed.

And, hey, if you buy it and don't like it, I'll take it off your hands for you! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

I have a set of LamsomSharp knives, love em, plus only forged knife still made in the USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bought mine through professional cutlery direct,
hard to find in stores

I use a 10" Forschner slicing knife (sometimes referred to as a ham slicer), but was wondering if a Granton edge blade offers a big advantage? I am kind of accustomed to what I have, but always willing to learn.

My Chef's knife is a 25 year old 8" Sheffield. It holds an edge well, and it doesn't seem right to just discard it after so many years of steadfast service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back