Cooking Knives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Assuming that all these knives are sharp, I think that the most important factor is how it fits in your hand. In order to use any knife properly, it has to feel comfortable. Otherwise your hand gets fatigued real fast.

Al

I just bought a 10" Tojiro chefs knife. Love it -- but you must use the steel (ceramic) and be careful to dry it completely. It cost $70. About ten years ago I went to a restaurant supply store in the Bowery and was going to buy a Henckels. The guy talked me out of it. Instead a bought a $30 no-name 10" chefs, with no bolster or nothing. But it felt great in my hand and the edge lasted forever. I just got it sharpened at it's perfect.

I'd suggest you stay away from electric sharpeners (although I've heard that there are some decent ones out there). They'll usually strip away too much metal from the knife. Just be good at using the steel regularly to hone the edge, don't cut on marble/corian/glass or other hard surfaces, don't hack a shoulder bone,and your blade should stay sharp. If it gets too dull do what I do -- find a professional sharpener and have it sharpened for $5.

i've never had any forscher brand but hear many people talk about them and that they are a little more inexpensive than some others. i admit that i tend to be a lttle bit of a knife freak and have more than i need. a couple of other brands you might like are furi and lamson. i have a some schaaf goldclass that i like. the advice on sharpeners is the best advice you can get. the carbon steel get sharper but stains, whereas the stainless doesn't stain, but also doesn't edge as well. the furi knives seem to be a nice combination of both. i don't like the electric sharpeners. stones are the best but take some learning to use correctly. one tip is if you have a grocery that has a sushi bar in it (a lot of them do now) ask the sushi chef to show you how he sharpeners knives. they ar experts at it. personally, i use a service to have mine done. doesn't cost too much and i ruined a nice knife using a sharpener once and for what it costs to have them done i let someone else sharpen and then just true the blade when i use them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Are the Victorinox branded knives are any different from the Forschner brand or are they identical? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tony, to my knowledge they're the same thing. My blades all show both "Forschner" and "Victorinox" on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back