Cooking for about 16 - Enough Food?

Ryan Sheffield

I am cooking for about 16 this weekend for the 4th. The number started at about 10 and keeps growing and is now at 16 (may be a few more by Sat). I have 22.5 and plan on 6 rack of baby back. I'll do chicken breasts, thighs, sausage on another pit (LyfeTyme). My question is will 6 racks be enough? That is all I can fit on the 22.5. I can use rib racks but how many more would that add?

less than half a rack per person however some guests will eat only 1, 2 or 0 ribs. If you're providing other meats and side dishes it'll be fine.

I have often done food for 20 on an 18.5. Ribs reheat well, so I would do them the day before until "almost done," then wrap them tightly in foil and refrigerate. They can reheat in the oven. (Swap the lower and upper oven racks every 15 or 20 minutes.) You can then do an overnight pork butt or brisket that will be ready for party day.

When coiled and held with skewers, 6 racks will fit on an 18.2. You could likely get more on a 22.

I am cooking for about 16 this weekend for the 4th. The number started at about 10 and keeps growing and is now at 16 (may be a few more by Sat). I have 22.5 and plan on 6 rack of baby back. I'll do chicken breasts, thighs, sausage on another pit (LyfeTyme). My question is will 6 racks be enough? That is all I can fit on the 22.5. I can use rib racks but how many more would that add?

you'd double the number of ribs using racks.

Baby back usually have about 11 - 14 bones per rack. So six racks with the minimum 11 bones you are looking at just over 4 bones per person for 16 people. With the other food being served, cut the servings into 2 bones. Most people will take 1 serving and move on to the rest of the food. Then they can come back for more.

People tend to eat less of the mains/sides at a party than they might otherwise eat at home or at a sit-down restaurant. Also keep in mind that more people than you'd think will avoid or minimize consumption of foods that can't be easily eaten with a fork and knife when at a social gathering.

Based on what you're serving, I'd be surprised if any single person ate more than 2 ribs. A normal adult plate will probably be one piece of chicken, a couple of pieces of sausage (if sliced) and one or two ribs. Lighter eaters or those who don't relish eating with their hands will likely skip the ribs altogether.

6 racks should be good with leftovers.

Back