Cooking Chuck Roll Today

Gene MS

I started half of a chuck roll (11.5 lbs) today at about 11:15 am. I am planning to have it ready sometime today, so I'm doing a high heat method...somewhat. I started it MM with an empty water pan, and it came up to 300 after an hour. So, it's been going for about 4 hours. I would guess my temps have been up around 300 for 2-3 hours. It's now at 275 and holding there.

I am shooting for around 8 hours of cook time total. I'll probably foil it for the final 3 hours. That would give me something ready for 8 pm if I let it rest for 45 minutes.

Anyone think I'll have enough cook time in there to get it done in time? If not, do you think I need to increase my temps or foil it early?

Looks like it is finishing a little early. I checked the temps at 4:00, and it was up to 175 internal. So, I foiled it, and I'm guessing it only has about 2 hours to go before it's fork tender.

Good luck. It sounds delicious. I have had no luck fining a whole chuck roll up here. I can find chuck roasts (3 to 5 pounds), but no chuck roll.

I just wait for chuck roasts to go on sale at one of the local groceries, and then if I have to, I call and ask for the meat manager. They always know what I'm talking about, but they would never put one out in the case, nor would they cut one in a 10+ lb chunk.

It was funny because the guy who was working last night had to study the chuck roasts for a while to figure out how to chop one between 10-12 lbs. He did a good job. Both came out about 11.5. These were bone-in, so I had no intention of trying to chop them myself.

Well, it was just about fork tender at the 6hr 45min mark. I've left it in now for another half hour. I'm leaving it in because my lid temps dropped to around 175 degrees. It probably wasn't for long, but it definitely slowed it down.

I added some coals and let it go a little longer. I'll probably give it another 30 minutes now that the lid temps are back up to 200. It's probably not far off from letting it rest in a cooler.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Krause:
Good luck. It sounds delicious. I have had no luck fining a whole chuck roll up here. I can find chuck roasts (3 to 5 pounds), but no chuck roll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam's Club has chuck rolls. I would guess Costco does too. Not only that, you live in southeast Michigan. There's this place downtown Detroit called Eastern Market. There is every kind of meat you could possibly want down there. If you have any problem finding what you want, post here or e-mail me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

For my money and ease of effort, Sam's has all the BBQ cuts I've ever wanted. If you don't see it, ask for it.

Well, it finished about an ago (~7-7.5 cook time). It was one of the best cooks I've had yet. It literally came out fork tender like butter for the pieces on the bottom in the foil. The rest of it was incredibly tender as well.

I'm thinking what some people say about chuck. You really can't screw it up no matter how you cook it.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Krause:
Good luck. It sounds delicious. I have had no luck fining a whole chuck roll up here. I can find chuck roasts (3 to 5 pounds), but no chuck roll. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sam's Club has chuck rolls. I would guess Costco does too. Not only that, you live in southeast Michigan. There's this place downtown Detroit called Eastern Market. There is every kind of meat you could possibly want down there. If you have any problem finding what you want, post here or e-mail me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

For my money and ease of effort, Sam's has all the BBQ cuts I've ever wanted. If you don't see it, ask for it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. I actually called sams for some the other day. They had them for 2.88 boneless, but I picked up this one for 1.97 bone-in. The guy at sams said something funny though. He said the only thing they sell with bones is fish. LOL. Yeah, they sell whole chickens too, but I thought that was funny.

That's interesting. I buy bone in butts there all the time. Costco around here has the boneless ones. Sam's has bone-in.

@Jerry N. I live in the Southfield area and the Sam's Club up here does not carry Pork Butts and only carries brisket flats sporadically. I usually go to Ray's Prime Foods in Southgate to get Pork Butt. I am going to have to try asking the butcher at Sam's about the Chuck Roll. Though it won't matter soon, as I am moving to Tennessee in about a month from now.

Rays is great. I live very close to there and go there a lot. I don't know which Sam's you're going to, but the one in Southgate and the one in Canton always have pork butt (bone in two pack), but - you do have to ask for it. They don't have it out in the case.

Wow, I can't believe Sam's doesn't have butts. My local even has a board up with case prices up on butts. Usually 25-50 cents cheaper.

Anyhow all of my local sams club does not put out chuck rolls. If they have chuck roasts they have chuck rolls as they cut their own roasts. My local Sam's the butcher goes home around 2:00. If you want a chuck roll you have to be lucky to get an employee who knows what a chuck roll is, after 2:00. The butcher told me the box is marked in one of three ways depending on the brand they have on hand. Last year I went in on Thursday evening for a chuck roll. Lady told me they were out. I knew better but gave up. I went back in Friday morning and walked out with one. Our sams has deliveries on Tues, Thurs, and Saturday's so I figured the chances of being out the same day was slim.

Our sams (I shop at two different ones) pretty much has butts all year round. They mostly have the two pack cryo, and sometimes they cut some smaller ones and put them in the case. I usually don't get there butts because the cryo packs always seem to have one giant one and one peanut sized one...maybe that's just the few times I've looked. They always seem to have somebody who knows what a chuck roll is, which is surprising. They carry only the boneless, and up until the guy told me that the other day, I didn't realize that I really haven't seen anything bone-in at sams. It may just be a regional thing. Dunno

@Jerry N. I live in the Southfield area and the Sam's Club up here does not carry Pork Butts and only carries brisket flats sporadically. I usually go to Ray's Prime Foods in Southgate to get Pork Butt. I am going to have to try asking the butcher at Sam's about the Chuck Roll. Though it won't matter soon, as I am moving to Tennessee in about a month from now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you get one that carries the whole briskets. I think I would lose it if I couldn't get packers from sams. Even on sale, I have a hard time finding a better whole choice brisket locally at a better price.

Back