Cooking BBQ

Darin Hearn

TVWBB Fan
I was reading something about BBQ and it stated the usually the people who make the best BBQ cooks are people that were good cooks in other areas first. I found that interesting. I know people who are all around good cooks but I also know people who only cook BBQ and they make some good BBQ. So I thought I would ask what you guys thought. Do you need to be a good cook in some other area first to be good at cooking BBQ? What do you think?

By "good cook" I interpret that to imply experienced also. I would think that an experienced (but not necessarily professional) cook would do well with BBQ because of his/her general experience with cooking. A good/experienced cook has obviously mastered or become familiar with certain principles and methods. These will certainly be beneficial and transfer over to the specialized area of BBQ. That being said, a novice can certainly become very good at Qing, especially with the WSM! What I've picked up in this forum is that many have a love of good food and cooking. I fall into that category; been cooking for years, but have only been smoking for about 6 months. So I'm a late bloomer. With others it may be the opposite; BBQ gets them interested in cooking and they expand from there. That's my .02.

Well said, Paul.

Being an experienced cook means you've developed both a repertoire of skills and, usually, a repertoire of taste experiences. Both can add immeasurably to the cook who might be experienced but otherwise new to barbecue. But lack of experience shouldn't hold someone back from pleasures of cooking barbecue or anything else. It's doing that starts the process and continued doing that builds the foundation. Bringing awareness and as much sensory involvement as one can muster to the process furthers it infinitely (here is a post that's germane). Desire is the seed.

Thanks Kevin,
Desire indeed and the satisfaction of accomplishment! Great observation with the link to your older post. I've know for years that smell can trigger memories and is perhaps the last sense we lose. I've never really thought about using it as a tool in cooking, at least not in a disciplined manner as you describe.
Hope you're not stuck in the Rockies. Thought about you when reading about the latest winter storm making its way across the country.

Funny you should mention that. I got as far as Amarillo last night in heavy rains and wind. I knew (from watching the system on line) what would be in store for today and, sure enough, when I got up this morning NE New Mexico was getting snow and I-40 was already closed west of Tucumcari. I dropped down out of Amarillo, grabbed 60 southwest into NM (snowing lightly but only 34 degrees so no big deal), then 70 southwest all the way to Las Cruces. Now I'm in Phoenix. The roads are still closed up there as the snow hasn't really quit. No way I was spending days in Amarillo. I have Vegas plans!

A propos Darin's question: I think the thing that most trips up new cooks or those new to barbecue is a reluctance to try new things, new approaches, new flavors. Well, not 'trips up' necessarily but, let's say delays the development of a repertoire. Certainly in the beginning one needs to if not master then get comfortable with the fundamentals, but I think that one is best able to achieve satisfaction if one pushes the proverbial envelope--at least a bit--at the same time. Then, as time passes and experience grows, satisfaction comes from mentally 'falling back' on the knowledge derived from what one has accomplished but the spark of the new and untested remains as a motivator--and as a source of further satisfaction. (Existential barbecue!
icon_smile.gif
)

I agree with both Paul & Kevin.

Kevin, I think a lot of "new" BBQ cooks are afraid to try outside the box. If you look at the price of a packers brisket or slabs of ribs they may be afraid of having to throw them away.

Being good at just about anything in life requires just a few things. Common sense, practice and a willingness to learn. The more you practice, experiment and build experience the better you will become at the task at hand, whether it is BBQ, building log homes, trap shooting or making fine jewelry. Practice makes perfect.

K's comments on smell are right on in my inexperienced opinion. We have only five tatses: bitter, salty, sour, sweet and, umami. See wikipedia:taste (basic). A 'expert' on the food channel made the same point recently adding that we can recognize many thousands of smells. Not only do we sense more smells but I wonder if for some reason, they imprint in our memory more vividly.
When thinking about food we have to please the eye, smell wonderfull and have the taste and mouth feel to complete a great experience.

Back