Cooking at Altitude

RandyP

TVWBB Member
I will be camping above 8000 feet this weekend and doing a 7lb but. I plan on using the MM with a full ring of coals and a full chimney to start. Is there anything else that I should do?

Thanks in Advance

looked up Denver, it's 5200'

I'll guess you will notice quite a difference at 8000'. Folks have reported trouble cracking 200ºF that high up when using water.

Try a waterless cook, using sand, an inverted clay pot saucer or crumpled foil balls. This will provide a shield from direct heat without the heat sink properties of water. Whichever you try cover it with tinfoil, this you can change the top foil after each cook to make clean up easy.

If you usually use water try a little less lit to start with and your vents will likely end up being open less than usual.

Your temps will move around a bit more than with water but it's not a problem.

I've cooked when camping before although im not sure exactly how high I was, but I was up there. just don't use water and exactly what you said. Truth is I actually didn't see any difference except a full chimney seemed better to start a minion method w/.
My home sits at around 6300 ish feet, so I know I was pretty high cause I drive uphill for quite a distance. have fun.
*I just looked up Grand Mesa Ntnl. forest and its "average" elevation is 10,000. you shouldn't have a problem cause like I said its really not THAT different up there,
icon_wink.gif

Back