Cooking a brisket right now! Have a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Clay

TVWBB Fan
I am cooking an 8lb brisket today and it's been on now for about 1 1/2 hrs. I just got a polder probe and I'm using it for the first time. I'm showing an internal temp of 142 already. Does that seem right? I put the probe in the side of the flat. Do you think I should reinsert it in another area or does this quick rise in temp seem normal?

Not unusual at all. Be prepared for the plateau-- probably in the upper 160's-- that you may remain at for a couple of hours before it resumes its climb to your final target temp.

Okay, thanks Doug. I appreciate that info. It just seemed a little odd to me for the temp to jump up that high so quickly. The dome temp has been real steady at between 235 and 250.

That's normal, J. It will jump there so quickly it makes you think, "Omygosh! This'll be done in two hours!" Not. As Doug said, it will plateau and sit here for hours. And hours. Then it wll start moving slowly.

It may stop again around 175-180 for a while. When it starts moving from there, it will hit 200 very quickly.

At least that's been my experience.

Never done brisket yet. Hopefull this weekend I'll be doing my first brisket as well as my first cook on my WSM. I've done pork shoulders a couple times now on my weber. The first one took about 12 hours (should have ended sooner but my Thermometer was way off) The second took 13.5 hours to get to 194f. It took I bet 4 hours to go from 170f to 180f. After that it took about 45 minutes to an hour to climb from 180 to 194. I know it gets frustrating your first few cooks when you get to those stand still temps. But I don't think it will even be a concern anymore now that I've experienced it.

Hey, Dennis, cook a butt on the top rack and your brisket on the bottom rack. Doesn't take any more time, and it makes for a VERY happy brisket.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Hey all, thanks for all the input. The temp on this brisket peaked at about 170 and then moved very slowly up from there. It took about 3 hours to go from 170 to 195. I took it off at 204. I like my brisket falling apart and it was. I'm doing my first Pork shoulder right now. I'm not even going to put the probe in the meat until about 2/3rds of the way through the cooking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back