Cooking a 4 lb pork loin tomorrow(first cook)

Bill Beach

I have it marinating now. I noticed under the cooking tips section of this website that the cook did not use water in the pan. Any particular reason? I will be smoking with grove lump and using hickory as my smoke wood.
Any further advice would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

PS. It will be in the 90's here in Chicago tomorrow so I really will have to be on top of my Temps Huh!?!

An empty, foiled lined waterpan permits a higher cooking temp. With meat such as a pork loin, there is a minmum amount of fat, connective tissue etc., and therefor it is not felt to benefit from the more traditional smoking technique of low/slow. Also, you would not take the meat to a high internal temp. My memory is it would be around 150, but you should check in the cooking section.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Beach:
I noticed under the cooking tips section of this website that the cook did not use water in the pan. Any particular reason? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I'm not sure why I did that. I usually use water for 225-250*F cooks, and no water for 325-350*F cooks. This was to be a 225-250*F cook, and you can see from the chart that I had a hard time maintaining those temps without water.

If I were to do the same cook again, I would use water.

If I were to roast it at 350*F, I would not use water.

Regards,
Chris

Just wanted to tell you all my pork tender loin came out great! I kept the temp right between 225 and 245 and the meat was very moist and I had a little smoke ring. I did the OJ marinade that is on the cooking tips. I put the 4lb roast on at 11:50 and took it off at 2:40 with an internal temp of 147. I browned it on the gas grill for about 5 minutes and let the roast rest for over 2 hours while I preped dinner. Everything was still warm and it worked out perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Bill

Back